Brendal.Robles
Brendal.Rob... asks:
Q:

What can I do to help a friend that might go into depression?

In Topics: Teen issues, Depression

|

Tell them you are worried about them, listen when they need to talk, and help them get help for themselves by making suggestions about who else to talk to.  Depression can be a big problem that may be too big for you or a friend to handle on your own.  Counselors, teachers, and parents may need to know about how your friend is feeling so that they can also keep an eye on them and make sure they are doing okay.  Also we hope that you can provide your friend with our hotline and website.  They can call or email us anytime and tell us how they are feeling and we will provide whatever advice or assistance that we can.  

Also remember to try and avoid judging your friend.  Depressed people can be difficult to deal with because they are so negative, but if you judge them for that, then they may feel worse about themselves and not talk to you about it anymore.  

Please let your friend know how you feel by either talking to them or writing them a note.  If you continue to worry, then maybe speak to the counselor yourself about your concerns for your friend.

Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Counselor, NZ

Boys Town National Hotline-A Resource for Parents and Teens
www.YourLifeYourVoice.org
1-800-448-3000
Friend us on FACEBOOK today &
Access the live on-line support feature on www.yourlifeyourvoice.org  8-11p CST M-Th

0
0

UrsulaRagazi
UrsulaRagazi writes:
What you can say that helps:
You are not alone in this. I’m here for you.
You may not believe it now, but the way you’re feeling will change.
I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel, but I care about you and want to help.
When you want to give up, tell yourself you will hold of for just one more day, hour, minute — whatever you can manage.
You are important to me. Your life is important to me.
Tell me what I can do now to help you.
Avoid saying:
It’s all in your head.
We all go through times like this.
Look on the bright side.
You have so much to live for why do you want to die?
I can’t do anything about your situation.
Just snap out of it.
What’s wrong with you?
Shouldn’t you be better by now?

1
0