PixandPens
PixandPens asks:
Q:

How do My friend and I stop cutting?

My friend and I have a secret together; we both cut... she is always saying that we need help but to scared to tell anyone or ask for help. I don't know what to do anymore and I don't want this to cause troubles in the future. Anyone can help?
In Topics: Cutting

|

It is understandable that you would be nervous about asking for help with this issue.  Many people who cut have found it extremely helpful to reach out and tell an adult that they are dealing with something like a certain emotion or past issue that has resulted in cutting to deal with it.  Expressing your emotions lets you talk it out rather than push it down and then release the pain with cutting.  
Cutting is a very dangerous and unhealthy coping skill that many teenagers use.  It can lead to bigger problems and the scars may not go away.  Getting help from a school counselor, teacher, parent or family friend can lead you and your friend down a healthier path.  You deserve the support and help.  Reach out and together you and your friend can work on healthier coping skills like journaling, exercising, listening to music, puzzles, art or whatever you find helpful.
Check out www.yourlifeyourvoice.org for more helpful tips on cutting and coping with emotions.  
We hope you found this helpful and hope you will reach out again for support. We are here 24/7.
Take care,
Naina, counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

Hi PixandPens,

You and your friend are very brave to reach out for help. You both are correct that this is a very serious issue, and help is necessary. Thank you so much for taking that first step, and sharing your story with the online community at Education.com.

It is extremely important that you identify a trusted adult in your life who you can talk to about you and your friend's cutting behavior. This person might be a teacher, a guidance counselor, a parent, and older sibling, a doctor, etc. There are tons of people in your life who care about you, so it's just a matter of finding someone who you're comfortable with and trust. Let them know that you've been cutting, and ask them to take you to see a therapist or psychologist for help. There are experts who handle these issues each and every day, and these experts are the ones who can provide the best guidance for you and your friend.

In addition to talking to a therapist, there are also a number of hotlines you can call to talk to someone about the feelings that are making you cut. Anytime you or your friend feel like hurting yourselves, I encourage you to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If you are being abused or are in danger from being hurt by someone else you can call Child Help 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453). No matter what though, if you are ever in danger of being hurt (either by yourself or someone else), you need to get help. If it is an emergency, call 911 immediately.  

Thank you for reaching out for help. You are on the right track to getting help to make sure you stop cutting and start handling your feelings in a healthy way. You can and will get better!

Alex

1
0
ANNABURKS
ANNABURKS writes:
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOU AND YOUR FRIEND YOU BOTH NEED HELP WERE ARE YOUR PARENT THALK TO SOME ONE LIFE IS TO SHORT PRAY.

0
1
ebhs
ebhs writes:
If you need help why don't you ask some one for help and why don't you ask your mom or dad this is how you can-get help as some friend or some one that you trust and if you need any more quietens

0
1
colbzyquack
colbzyquack writes:
Go to your school counselor , or just come clean with your parents and let them know you need help ! I know its hard, I do, I used to myself , and eventually just stopped. But the cutting is making your other feelings of depression, anxiety, worthlessness temporarilly "feel better "  and thats why you keep doing it. You need someone to talk to , counseling ,maybe medication. Its very , very good you recognize your problem. That means you are very intelligent. I believe you can and will get through this, as soon as you find a trusting adult to go to. God Bless .....

0
0
ahli
ahli writes:
STOP IT!!! Why would you want to harm your body in anyway.

0
0
nastashap
nastashap writes:
try talking to someone like a teacher or your parents someone u trust

0
0