BrittanyRye asks:

Future Teacher in need of Help.

I want to become a High School Math teacher and eventually principal. I would like to get my degree in Kentucky, but teach in Ohio. How do I get my license for Ohio if I take the test in Kentucky? Also, I want to be licensed for K-12. Is that possible? I heard that Ohio doesn't license for that type of qualification, but do they accept it from other states?
In Topics: School and Academics, Back to school, Public School
> 60 days ago



Allyn Anderson
Mar 28, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Brittany, I'm delighted you are interested in becoming a math teacher. Good math teachers are always needed. As for lisensure in any state, the process is essentially the same. You need to contact Ohio directly and request an application. I've attached their website below for your reference.
    When developing institutional criteria for a program, such as teacher certification, a university develops a program, which is approved by that state’s board of education or board of regents. The university then requires its students to follow a set of prescribed courses for certification purposes. Each state tends to put a focus on something that another may not. That means that when a certified teacher in one state moves to another state, this teacher may be required by the receiving state to take additional course work to fulfill their state’s requirement(s).  (For instance, if a teacher moved to Texas and requested certification there, the teacher would have to take Texas history.) Needless to say, it is best to contact someone in licensing at the state board of education in Ohio concerning your particular situation. Also ask about K-12 licensure. It might be easier than you think.
     Usually, certification requirements for K-6 and 6-12 are different. Look at both sets of criteria and see what they have in common. It may be possible to carry dual certification in math if you meet the requirements in both. But, consider talking with the persons at your university who are responsible for elementary certification, as well as secondary. These two might be willing to develop an appropriate, individualized plan for you. Do plan to take some extra courses however; there are always a few courses unique to each certification level. But, you may not need to take all the required courses in one if you’ve complete those in the other certification area. To be on the safe side, do plan for two different student teaching experiences.
     Hope this helps get you started in the right direction.
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Nben writes:
the best thing to do is to contact Ohio department of education, you will get your answers. In Arizona to be Secondary certified you have to passe the Math 10 for K-8 you have to passe Math 37, but if you have a master in Mathematics you will be exempt of those test.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely