anniemag
anniemag asks:
Q:

What is generalization in language acquisition in delays in language

In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

DrSheldonHorowitz

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so I hope this is helpful. The word "generalize" is sometimes used to describe what we do when we take information that we have learned in one situation and apply it (correctly) in another situation. Individuals with LD ofter struggle with this, and need direct, explicit feedback (often more than once and in different situations) before it 'clicks.'  

An example:
When I was teaching middle school (many, many years ago), one of my students, an 8th grader with LD, was struggling with writing assignment, especially those that were unstructured ("Please write about....."). I spent many weeks teaching her a framework for doing this, selecting key words that she knew she wanted to use, creating a scaffold of words and phrases that she could use to organize her ideas and craft sentences, practicing how to structure paragraphs, and working on interesting ways to write beginning and closing paragraphs. A big English writing assignment was looming, and when the day finally arrived, she knew that she was well prepared and she entered the room confident and ready to write. The result? Her first ever A+ paper! Not a week later, she came into my classroom sobbing, a Social Studies paper (for which I know she studied) crumpled in her hand, covered with red edit marks indicating incomplete sentences, confusing and incomplete points, poor introductory section, no conclusion. I shook my head and asked (gently) what happened, explaining that she KNEW how to write a good paper, having just recently done so in her English class. She stopped gasping, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "You never told me that I could do the same thing for Social Studies that I did in English!"

Generalization.

0
0

Hi anniemag,

Language delays include a wide variety of speech, language, and hearing impairments. Below, I've included a link to an article about language delays that you may find helpful.

Thanks for asking!

1
0