fylan
fylan asks:
Q:

geo constructions - what is required in your maths curriculum?

We are developing an app which would help kids by simulating straight edge&compass constructions. It would be crucial to know what is required (at what year, exam level, etc) in different national curriculums. Please, tell us what you have in your country!

E.g:
-only basic constructions (bisections, perpendiculars, constructing a triangle using the 3 sides)
-more complex constructions (tangents, quadrilaterals, triangles if other data given, eg. angles/heights/median...)
-complex const(Euler-line, Feuerbach circle...)

I would be grateful for all information, memories, links, etc! thnx:)
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with math, Worldwide education issues

|
Hi fylan,

Wow, sounds awesome! What a great question. I would think that the most basic geo-constructions that just involve duplicating length and then constructing triangles, bisections, etc. would generally be introduced in eighth grade (middle school) in the United States. Even the slightly more complex constructions could be understood by many kids at that age.

As for the complex constructions, kids generally take geometry in their sophomore (or second year) of high school in the United States. I think they would generally be able to follow more difficult instructions at that point.

In the resource section below, I'm including a link to an article about learning geometry that includes some helpful (and quite interesting!) information.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the development of your app!

Alex

1
0
Hi fylan,

Great question!  My child was introduced to geometry in first grade with basic shapes, equilateral, quadrilaterals, etc. and introduced to symmetry, asymmetry.  It was not a deeply covered subject, but it was part of math concepts.  In second grade it was reinforced on the same principle as what was introduced in 1st grade with much more class time and involvement.  In 3rd grade, it's a little more involved, working with degrees and angles, perimeters, equilateral, isosceles, scalene,acute, obtuse and working with examples of equilateral-acute triangle,scalene-obtruse triangle, pentagon, hexagon, convex polygon, isosceles-right triangle, rhombus, etc.  Once again, it's in the text book, but it's not strongly taught.  The more advance geometry won't come to later, I know that in 4th grade they begin working with protractors, but more advanced geometry is not introduced until later years around 7th grade.  I've include a couple of links that may help with what is grade appropriate here and after 8th grade it is not a required subject is a chosen elective.  Hope this helps!

0
0
Anonymous