Juanita112
Juanita112 asks:
Q:

I need help with a gifted/future honor 6th grader with discipline issues lately. How can I discipline him, should I agree to the honor classes?

Member Added on May 21, 2010
Lately my son is not showing the maturity and responsibility level honor classes require. He often has a rebellious behavior in class and even one of the teachers suggested to really think about going or not into honor classes next year.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, My gifted child, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Adolescents need discipline like all children.  An effective way to discipline an adolescent is to withhold privileges, such as having a telephone, going to the movies, sleepovers, etc.  Whatever privilege is taken away, it needs to be decided by you for how long you will take the privilege away, and you need to be firm and not let your teen to bargain with you.  

I would not consider honor classes a privilege.  You son has earned the chance to advance academically by working hard at school.  Having a chance to participate in those classes, he has a better chance to advance in life later on.

2
0
Anonymous