Anonymous
Q:

Girl bullying boy

My 13-year old son is being physically bullied by a girl at school. I have written down six instances that he has told me about in the past month and a half. Is it time for me to go to the school? He does not want me to b/c he says it'll be worse if I do. She is physically bigger than he is. He says he just stays out of her way, turns away when he sees her, goes the other way in the hall, etc. What should I do?

|

It does sound like it is time for you to go to the school and discuss the situation that is going on with your son and the girl. It may be embarrassing for him because she is a girl, but you can assure him that no one needs to know about it. Talk to the school counselor or social worker and provide them with the six instances if they request evidence. This girl needs help and hopefully the school will also talk to her parents about it so she can get counseling.  

Continue to support your son and keep the communication open between you.  Encourage him to start to take a more active role when he is at school by talking to the school counselor or principal if this girl continues to bully him. It is understandable that he wants to stay out of her way, but tell him it is OK to face her and tell her with his words to lay off and leave him alone. He will feel more empowered if he stands up for himself. You may also give him our website for teens. He can read what other kids are going through and he also has the option of e-mailing a counselor. Our website is: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

If you would like to speak with a counselor about this in more detail, please call or e-mail our hotline. We are available 24 hours 7 days a week for parents and children of all ages. We hope things get better for your son. School should be a safe place to learn and grow, not be a place of fear.

Take care and best wishes to you both!
Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
3
0