tamikatroche
tamikatroche asks:
Q:

My son is going to be 6 years old and he's misbehaving in school but he's so smart.

Hello, I have a 5 year old turning 6 next month. Since he was little he was always a little hyper. I started him in Catholic school at 2.9 years old. His first year was hard because it was his first time and was at a babysitter before who didn't do many activities with him so I believe he was letting out all that energy. That year I had weekly meetings about his behavior. By the next year it was a little better, by kindergarten I still got complaints about him moving too much and not staying still. Yet, he was in upper reading level, scored 97 in his state math exam. He gets bored and quickly finishes his work. Now in first grade he has completely become defiant. I need help because I try punishing, time out, behavioral charts, bribe and all I do now is give him educational things to do. Nothing works.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Sometimes a child's misbehaviors are really a cry for guidance and help. He may be feeling frustrated or believe that any behavior that seems "normal" to him is not considered within acceptable parameters by others.  Therefore, he may be stuck in a behavioral cycle that is not working and doesn't know how to change it.

I would suggest connecting with the school guidance counselor and ask about social groups and classroom strategy sessions for your son. There are many ways for the school and home environments to be consistent and help your son.  The tough part is finding the right program that all can utilize and works!

Also, consider looking in to great online resources, such as http://www.Kidlutions.com.  (In addition to the wealth of resources here!)

Good luck,

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0