Lindas
Lindas asks:
Q:

What is a good second grade science fair project?

My 7 year old daughter has a science fair project due on March 27 and she has to ues The Scientific Method and I am stumped.
In Topics: Science fair

|
graham
graham writes:
The scientific method states that your daughter should come up with a hypothesis and then test against that hypothesis with a (repeatable) experiment.

If you are in a cold climate, you could try experimenting with freezing temperatures. You could test which cups are better insulators: which would freeze last. See if she can come up with a theory as to which would freeze first, etc... Then have her place them outside and filled with the same amount of water, and check them every 5minutes and record the progress. Once they are all frozen, she can compare the results with what she expected, and what conclusions can be drawn.

I've also included a link to a similar experiment using ice and salt.

3
1
This is a science project we're planning to try with our 7-year-old daughter...

What makes food decay faster: heat, light or water?  

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Decaying_Food/

There are multiple hypotheses, and the experiment seems fairly simple and easy to do.

If that doesn't interest your 7-year old, here are many other ideas: http://www.education.com/topic/great-science-fair-project-ideas/

Education.com also offers information about the scientific method, and what makes a good science project.
http://www.education.com/topic/help-child-with-science-fair-projects/

1
0
jackie123
jackie123 writes:
Your hypothesis is "Do cut flowers last longer if you put them in cold water or warm water?" This is a great one for a 7 year old. Simple but teaches biology. This is a nice experiment because it uses carnations and food coloring.

1
0
jojolanier
jojolanier writes:
my 7 year old has a science project on april 27 2011

1
0
RyanTraynor
RyanTraynor writes:
A good and fun project for someone that young is to see if people can guess the smell of something with their nose plugged.  You test them before and after being plugged and see what the answer is.  It is simple and they can see the methods used.

0
0
ciaraAIR
ciaraAIR writes:
well...Lindas a good project would be a valcano and if that is too messy then try .. electric curcits and the teacher will go WOW!! a second grader put alot of effert into it

0
0
cntwocute
cntwocute writes:
My 8 year old has a scientific method project and I don't know where to start.

0
0
palomamensajera
palomamensa... writes:
My second grade daughter has a science fair May 11 and I just found out, need something to do that is less than 24 hrs.

0
0
tonyk3633
tonyk3633 writes:
My daughter had her first science fair project ! Due to the fact that she is just being introduced to science this year I went to barnes and noble and bought her a box of different experiments! It will help explain the project to your child ! Try not to over complicate the project ! Remember that they are only 7 or 8 years old ! Good luck!

0
0