lindseyGlasscock
lindseyGlas... asks:
Q:

Is it good for a young child to be away from her mom for an extended period of time?

My husband and I are going through a divorce. Right now we have a temporary order for joint custody. Our daughter is 22 months. Right now the order states each parent is allowed a week on and week off at a time and Wednesdays is the visit day from 11-7. Our daughter Alia has to go five days without seeing me, her mom. It breaks my heart every time she leaves. Is a custody order like that in the child's best interest at that young of an age? I believe that right now she is a little too young to fully understand what is going on. Is there a way I can make this easier on me and my daughter?
In Topics: Single parent families, Divorce Issues

|

ShirleyCressDudley

Separations and divorce are very difficult. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Amazingly enough- children are the most flexible and adaptable- the younger the better.

If your current agreement is week on/ week off with a visitation day on Wednesday- then that is reasonable, and one you should follow.

Ways to make this more acceptable to all:
-Always speak positively about your ex around your child. Even though she is very young- it is confusing to hear the adult side of the problem.
-Reassure your daughter that both mom and dad love her and that she will be going back between mommy and daddy's houses each week
-Look confident and happy when you are with your daughter

You will make it through this. Remember to take time for yourself. You are a mother, but you are also a very special person too.

Kindest Regards,

Shirley Cress Dudley
Director of The Blended and Step Family Resource Center
1
0

lola6
lola6 writes:
well, if your child wants to be with mother,  she or he will be with mother and if child wants to be with father, she or he will be with father!!!

0
1
Zoeycuddles3612
Zoeycuddles... writes:
DEFINETLY NOT!! A child needs to spend more time than anything else with their mothers or they will think of you as a stranger . i highly suggest you keep in touch and you be with your daughter 24/7

0
0