Allie-n-Bama
Allie-n-Bama asks:
Q:

My first grade child is bringing home totally blank classroom assignments in her weekly packet. How should I address this with the teacher?

My daughter is in first grade at a private school. They use the Scott Foresman program and learn a story with accompanying worksheets (a packet) each week. She was doing well for the first few weeks with her packet (she brings me the previous weeks packet on the following Monday) ~ if she missed anything I would sit and go over it with her. 3 weeks ago, she brought home a packet with an incomplete stamped on it so I looked through it and she had left about 60% of the previous Wednesday's page blank. I thought it was a fluke and got her to finish it at home. The next week she had two pages (two different days) marked incomplete and one of the sheets was TOTALLY BLANK. So, we talked about it and she said she didn't understand the instructions. I asked her if her teacher or the teacher's aid was available to help her and when she answered it seemed like she wasn't quite sure if she could ask for help. Once I read her the instructions, she literally did it in 2 minutes without any problems.  This past week she brought home THREE incompletes (2 pages BLANK). I'm so angry b/c I feel like between the teacher and aid that one of them should notice my child is just sitting there. Any advice on how to handle this situation would be appreciated. I'm very angry about this. We have a meeting with her teacher and I need to know the correct questions to ask without causing too much of a problem with the teacher.

|