Kal1671
Kal1671 asks:
Q:

Third Grade Son Zoning Out in School

Hi..
My 8 year old son..just began third grade..zones out in class. When I asked him he said yes, he does.. After a little prodding he said his eyes focus and he zones out. I asked him what he was thinking and he said "lots of things.. I usually think of ways to invent things that aren't in the world" as well as getting a dog, building a treehouse etc..it's definitely affecting his school work. At first I thought maybe it was because he is the youngest in his class..he makes cutoff by days. This has been going on for a few years and now I am starting to worry. The school psychologist and principal met with us last year to discuss and we put a plan into action. I'm at a loss and I feel like I need to make some kind of decision. Has anyone else had any experience with this?
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Vwindman

Does your school have a child study team to evaluate why your son is "zoning" out? Ask his teachers what type of learner he is... Visual, auditory or kinesthetic. It may help to differentiate his instruction to keep him on task.
Does your son have a subject he enjoys?

I would meet with his teachers as now is the time for your son to have techniques to help him stay on task. Make a list of questions for the teachers regarding the time of day he "zones" out, how do they refocus your son, what kind of activities does he enjoy? Etc

I hope this helps?
0
0