gbond
gbond asks:
Q:

I am a first grade teacher.  I have a parent asking me to challenge their child even more in reading, which I am happy to do, but I need more ideas.

To challenge my higher reading group (to go along with their more challenging reading selections) I give vocabulary words, open questions to answer within sentences, dictionary work, supplemental reading on what we are studying, etc...  I have 5 reading groups and about 15 minutes per group (low to high).  

She also asked me to do this within the school time and not to send this during her homework extension time.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!  :)   THANKS!
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with reading

|

First of all,I applaud you in teaching first grade.  I've taught a lot of grade on the elementary level, and first grade is by far the rarest grade to teach.

Now on to your situation.  Parents, especially one who want more than sometimes you can give, is a tough one.  It sounds like you are a hard working, conscientious teacher.  Having five reading groups to meet the students needs is above and beyond.  Most teachers only have three groups if we are lucky.

I would ask the parents some questions like:
What would they like to see as challenging activities?  Do they want more research projects, more paper and pencil work?  I would then ask the parent, if you gave their child these challenging activities, does he or she think their son would mind missing out on the center activities you already have set up so children in your class can practice the skills and strategies you are teaching them?  Try to explain that your centers are not only developmental, but also academically appropriate.

Ok, so if the parent is still pushy here are a few ideas you an try:
Have a book basket just for the child.  Fill it with books that are more challenging text on topics or genres he would find interesting

Encougare him to have more written responses.  He can have a composition book where he can record his thoughts, reflections, and questions.

Have the child do some research on a topic that he has some interest in.  Then he can create a presentation that canbe shared with the class.

If the child likes a certain story, have him write a play based on the plot.

These are just a few ideas.  I would also ask the parent to volunteer in your classroom so she can see exactly what goes on and how you do already challenge her child.  She would also see what you, as a teacher are up against.  Teachers have a lot of things to juggle and no matter how much you want to give all of your students individual attention, it is easier said then done.

Hope that help.

Barb K
Www.LessonPop.com

3
0

searise
searise writes:
Maybe you could have him draw the story in blocks, or write a different ending, or use different characters to draw/rewrite story. Pick his favorite part or character and draw it or constuct a mobile or paperplate figure/drawing. Just some thoughts.

1
0