elva
elva asks:
Q:

What can I do to help my child with her math learning? She is going into five grade.

my child has desabilitis learning, she has a program for that, but really  idont see any progress special on matt.,
what i can do to help ,  because my child dont know any tables, or division  o counting by two. or the value of the money I really I feel fail @ parent help me please, we have other opcion like my child will have big improvent on the class?
In Topics: Chores, allowance, and money management, Helping my child with math, Learning disabilities

|

Hand in Hand

Hi Elva,

I hope things are going better with your daughter and her math. We have an article on our website that might help with frustrations or other emotions that are getting in her way.

"When learning problems arise, listen

When a child isn't able to concentrate or to learn, there's usually an emotional issue that blocks his progress. It feels bad on the inside when you can't think. It feels scary on the inside when you can't do what's expected of you, and you don't know why or what to do about it. This is the position children are in when they can't write a story, can't memorize their times tables, or can't sit down to their homework. They feel upset, and often scared. They also feel alone.

When we parents see our child caught in upset around learning, it's usually infuriating. Our child's problems make us feel tired and worn. Our thoughts are something like, “By now, he should be able to do school work on his own! Why do I have to get into it?” We badly want our child's problems to go away so we can get a little peace.

What helps immensely is something we've always been taught to avoid at all costs. If you can sit close by while your child has a good cry about school, or a tantrum about not wanting to do homework, your child will do the work of draining some of the bad feelings that have paralyzed him.

Emotional release helps children focus their attention and regain their ability to be hopeful about learning. Your child won't sound reasonable while he cries or rages. He'll believe very strongly in the terrible feelings he's having. But surprisingly, the crying and the chance to make sure you know how bad it feels inside has a deeply healing effect. So try to keep from arguing and reasoning with him, and stay close while he "cleans the skeletons out of the closet" with his tears and his bleak or angry thoughts. He'll finish. The longer he has been able to cry, the more improvement you will see in his ability to concentrate and to believe in himself."

I'll put a link her to the rest of the article in case it might be helpful for you both.

Good luck,

Juli
Julianne Idleman
Hand in Hand Program Director
www.handinhandparenting.org
1
0

CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
It's excellent that you are interested in working with your child on her math skills.  Having your help is an invaluable resource for a child.  Congratulations on taking the initiative before she begins fifth grade.  Education.com has several worksheets for 5th grade and 4th grade learners.  You can select which grade depending on her needs and math level.
http://www.education.com/worksheets/fifth-grade/math/
http://www.education.com/worksheets/fourth-grade/math/

Rachna

0
0
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
Here is a general article that has a section on math tips. A few of the ideas might be useful

0
0
bob , Parent writes:
This may or may not help but for you or any other parent who wants to try to give their kids more practice on basic arithmetic, I wrote a worksheet generator several years ago (link below) that you can use to make practice sheets.

The second URL is a some example of using this to create an addition worksheet.  You'll get a different one every time you refresh your browser window

0
0
Anonymous