Anonymous
Q:

First grade again?

My son is a sweet 6 year old.  He is almost done with first grade.  Now I am debating if I should make him repeat first grade.  This is why:

- He missed a lot of school ( he was always suffering from throat infections) about a month ago tonsils and adenoids were removed.  He also had sleep apnea.
- He had attention problems, he has not been diagnose with ADD (My son was always tired; i was the one that pushed for a sleep study, that's why adenoids were removed) I think if you can't sleep you can focus! I want to give him some time.
-He has speech problems. Now he is getting speech@school.
- The school is telling me that he will get help in second grade.  He will be in a smaller classroom.  He is a average student.  Reading is beginning first grade level.  
- He can read and write but i always have to be next to him.  He cannot work by himself.  Self Esteem very low.  
-He is behind so I feel that repeating will benefit him, however i really think that its not going to help him with his low self esteem. I really don't know what to do!  and If i decide for him to go to second grade i will pay a tutor to reinforce ! please help!!!!

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Motivation and achievement at school, Self esteem and identity

|
janelee4652655
janelee4652... writes:
As a parent whose daughter was skipped to first grade due to testing. I choosed after a couple of weeks of school to give her a year of growing up by placing her in kindergarten class. My daughter did not have the maturity of the other children and we did not want her to suffer. Although the work was easier in kindergarten, it allowed her to mature with the students in her age bracket. We heard all the negative stuff from family and friends, but the choice is yours.Try to support her with essay help.

0
0
EJcobs
EJcobs writes:
The early part of second grade recaps what they learned in first. I think that if u tutor him over the summer and during his second grade year he will do fine.

0
0
Anonymous