wagoner
wagoner asks:
Q:

How can I get my first grader to focus and do his math homework?

my child does not know how to follow written instruction with math. He guesses alot and it he is corrected he shuts down and will not do  the problem or anything else and does silly things that he thinks will make me forget and will not listenwhen we try to approach the problem in a different way. what do I do?
In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:

This is not untypical of some kids in school in any subject. As a child I was very turned off by math, I still am! When I taught first grade I saw this with some children too. The problem may be that he doesn't understand the math concepts taught at school. Many children will deflect their lack of understand by joking around or tuning out. I would suggest providing an opportunity for him to express, if this is the case, his lack of understanding with math concepts. Once he is comfortable letting you know he has trouble, then I think the two of you can work together to forge a path to greater math achievement. If he doesn't tell you, then just let him know you had trouble with math, even if it isn't true. He may be encouraged by your own struggles and then come out to you. Also, ask his teacher for help. They might be able to help you understand what is the major problem in math. You might want to also break down the math assignments your son has. Instead of doing the 10 problems he has, do 3 or 4. Work out a deal with the teacher. My philosophy has always been, if they know how to do 5 problems they can 50.

Here are some great ideas to do at home and relevant to our lives:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Home_Learning/

Finally, you should read the book The Math Curse. It is a great book that helps kids understand how complex math is yet how important it is too. Keep up the good work and your son will get it. Just keep encouraging him to do his best and you will see success!

0
1
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
I surmised by your question that you first grader is a boy. It appears that the issue may be about your sons€™ attention span. There are several reasons why this may be occurring. The most common one would be that he just doesn€™t have the emotional maturity to pay attention for any length of time in which case the parent and teacher would have a conference to decide if holding him back would be in the child€™s€™ best interest. Or he may be exhibiting signs of ADHD, which I believe is way over diagnosed. I suggest getting the book €œThe ADD Answer€" by Dr. Frank Lawless. Its one of the most comprehensive books on the subject and his remedy for this issue it totally chemical free and it€™s proven to work. I hope the above suggestions get you to the solution that will serve your sons academic needs. Thank you for being invested in your son€™s academic success.

Barbara Antinoro
Founder
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com team

0
1
kettyediting
kettyediting , Parent writes:
I think the best way to focus on something is to make this interesting for child. If he doesn't understand how to do math homework, he makes efforts, but all of them fail, if he is boring - all of these are sings that you as a parent should immediately help him. If all of these actions repeat for a long period of time, your child will hate math for the rest of his life. Here what you should do - talk to him, try to find out what exactly he doesn't understand (the whole process or only one math problem), explain him how to do math, show him math examples, try to make this subject interesting to him. I bet you succeed if you try :)

1
0
oceana11
oceana11 writes:
I have been teaching 10 standard students since last 10 years and I respect this profession because my parents was also lecturer at university. now I come to the point that you can get first great in every exam by getting every topic deeply. this is an excellent technique for students.

0
1
alltech
alltech writes:
The thing which is given here is wnice

0
1
tinabgtran
tinabgtran writes:
by making something fun like playmoney then buy stuffs and tell them the price then they will use their playmoney to buy the stuffs you bought them.then they will do their homework and by the way you sapose to give them playmoney if they do their homework.ok this is how it works first make a small seat then make alot of play money that have a 100 on top.then make 1,000.if your students have 10 stars on their small seat called star seat but you must put star on the star seat you give them 100 if they have 10 of the 100 give them a 1,000.and when they are correting their homework  make a seat that  when he corret his home work then give your students play money.if they mabey have 153 the 100 is a 1,000 so you give your students 100 if they have 100 stars like 200 you giveyour students 2,000 it mean 1,000 and 1,000.and when they are listening to you give them playmoney. and the things that they got corret on homework you give them stars and when they are not guessing you can give them play money and you could make your own rules and if they are being onis you can let them have an extra playmoneyif they have more playmoney and they tell you.see ya later.
1 day ago

1
0
nagasahithya
nagasahithya writes:
If there is too much homework to do in a day, just allot him specific tasks to specific time slots in a day. but make sure he is enjoying his work.

0
0