Anonymous
Q:

My first grader doesn't like school, saying his teacher is mean and bossy. I don't want him to lose his love of learning. Should he switch teachers?

There is no fun in his classroom, just rote spelling and letter sounds, lots of homework and strict policing of even the smallest behavior infractions (he doesn't get in trouble because he's too scared to get out of line). He's progressing academically, but really not engaged or excited about school, which is new for him. Any advice?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Dewif...
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s), Public School

|
Totaltutor
Totaltutor writes:
I feel you do not have the right to judge his teacher. Have you observed the classroom teacher?  If the teacher is doing his or her job, you do not have the right to question his teacher.  I think it would be a bad idea to pull him out his classroom, and out him in another classroom.  I answered this question on my internet radio show at www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor.

0
0
cjsantafe
cjsantafe writes:
I have spent many hours in the classroom weekly, spoken with other parents about their observations, and the principal, and paid close attention to her interactions with the children. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but my child's wellbeing is at stake.

0
0
Anonymous