Anonymous
asks:
Q:

My first grader will not start his seatwork in class.  any suggestions would be appreciated

My first grader refuses to do his seatwork (class work).  While the class is doing their vairous worksheets and activities; he's breaking his crayons, playing around with his shoes...basically anything other than his work.  When he comes home, we have that days seat work in addition to the regularly assigned homework.  He's been reasoned with, yelled at, grounded, not allowed to play basketball, praised for the good grades...nothing is working.  Here's the kicker; when does his work...it takes him no time at all to correctly complete the work sheets.  I'm at my wits end...any suggestions would be appreciated.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

School counselors often can help "fix" this situation by placing a behavioral system which encourages positive behaviors vs. negative.

Also, check out http://www.kidlutions.com for more strategies that can be used at school and home, too.

Best wishes,

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified Psychologist

1
0
Redwood_City_Mom

Best Answer!

Hi Lacresha,

My son's kindergarten class has a number of kids like this in it.  His teacher started something called the "Responsible Club".  When kids turn in all their work on time for five days in a row they get to be in the club.  They get lots of "special treatment" - first in class lines, first to be released for recess, a sign on their desk showing that they're in the club, etc.  The kids eat it up and are all working really hard to be in the club.  I wonder if you could talk to the teacher about implementing something like this in your son's class.  If she can't/won't do it, maybe you could tell your son that you're going to do it at home.  You could make a chart at home and every time he turns his work in on time at school he gets a sticker.  When he gets five (or whatever) you could make a Responsible Club at home (and you could figure out special rewards he'd get for that).

I'm sure it's really frustrating for you to know he can do the work and is just chosing not to!

Let us know how he's doing!

3
0

nikki1
nikki1 writes:
my son acts the same way i have tried everything you have tried and cant figure out what to do next my son will lie to me about what he did at school and then i look in his folder and the teacher tell me that he refuses to do his work he hollers over her when she tries to talk so the other kids cant learn anything either and the teacher says he cant do his class work at home because she has to make sure im not helping him. i dont know what to do with him.

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I know it must be very frustrating for you at this time.  
Have you looked at physical issues:  Can he pay attention when seated?  Has he had his eyes checked to make sure there isn't a visual problem that could be fixed with glasses? Does he see clearly the worksheets to be done? Does he see the worksheets better if they are printed on a different colored paper?  Is he being asked to sit next to a child who bothers him?  Is the seat work being done right after a play time or recess which requires him to move from being very busy to sitting quietly?  He may need more of a transition time.  Just some questions to be considered.  If there is an occupational therapist is your school, you might want a consult to see if she/he can make suggestions.

1
0