MicheleHowell
MicheleHowell asks:
Q:

I have a grandson who has completed kindergarten but still cannot read or identify alphabet letters. What cani do to help be successful in school

|
Natalie013
Natalie013 writes:
WHat can help is if you have flash cards with abcs on it, it can help a lot. to help him read is you can try going to the library and chose a book that  he would like reading. and just sit with him and help  him sound out the words. i had trouble  reading too and i got books that i would enjoy. Good Luck and hope it works.

1
0
ErinMaggio
ErinMaggio writes:
Hello Michele,

Sometimes, students just need time to recall all letters lowercase and uppercase.  I am a teacher and tutor. I taught kindergarten for several years. I had students who were ELL. It took them awhile to remember their letters. I would work with them in small groups and we would practice writing the letter and the letter sounds regularly.I also gave each student the alphabet on their desk to help them with letter formation. We would also make things that begin with the letter we are learning. A great website for learning letters is www.starfall.com.  

Erin

1
0
Ms.Mann
Ms.Mann writes:
I've found teaching children the phonetic sounds of letters helps them understand that letters forms words. I focus on one letter/sound at a time and then play a game where the child has to locate the letter throughout the day. I also used My Baby Can Read with my daughter. She has been reading since she was 3 1/2.  She is now 5(starts kindergarten this September) and reads chapter books at a 3rd grade level. its also helpful to teach a few sight words and while you are reading a book and "their" sight word appears have them read that word. Repetition is the key!

0
0
lakieshacj
lakieshacj writes:
I made a home made game of memory card for my son and I to play. I did one set with capital letters and another set with lower case letter. Because he was still learning whenever he flipped over a card I would tell him the letter that he picked and that he needs to find the matching one and I would do the same when I picked. Once he has picked a few sets I would ask him what letter has he found so far and I would even try to get him to tell me what letters does mommy has. A long process but its fun and he is learning at the same time. Good Luck!!

1
0
mearetanal
mearetanal writes:
make learning fun for him :)) start singing the alphabet song with him. Buy books with letters he can color. Learn with him, assist him every time he needs it.

1
0
Kostaspreschool
Kostaspresc... writes:
it's not something to worry about...many kids in this age have problems with these...you can help him with books or some online educational platforms...for example check this one out here http://tinascraft.com/en/home

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I am so glad you are concerned about your grandson. Has your grandson been evaluated?  Some children do not attach a name to a symbol which makes learning letters very difficult.  Talk with your school counselor or seek an outside opinion with a private speech and language therapist.  Please don't wait.  The earlier he recieves help the easier reading will be.

2
0
vaguayo
vaguayo writes:
makeing flash cards will do put them on the floor but first draw a picture behind each letter doing this activity at least twicw a day

1
0
BerniceGonzalez
BerniceGonz... writes:
I tought my son the alphabet with flash cards every morning when their mind is fresh lol. I first started in mixing order like just pulling out whatever card I never thought of actually doing them in order and when he started vpk the teacher told me that they were going to test them on the alphabet but not in order I felt pretty good about myself. Try it everyday atleast twice a day and he'll get it Good Luck!

0
0