nanalittlebird08
nanalittleb... asks:
Q:

My 11 year old grandson says he hates school. He says he want to drop out.

He has been held back once. Now we have enrolled him in summer school. My grandson teacher tell him that we are helping him learn the wrong way,but when we do he get the math and his other class study but when she tell him the way she want it don he makes all bad grades in fact we have sign him up for summer school. He goes to tutor at least four time a week.
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|

I am very sorry to hear that your grandson is struggling so much.

First, has your son been tested for special education? If not, you or his parent/guardian should write a letter to the school requesting that he be tested. I have included a link to a sample letter below. This should start the assessment process and help you and the school to better understand his unique pattern of strengths and weaknesses. Once everyone understands how he learns and how he is feeling (feelings can often get in the way of learning) more specific interventions can be developed (and provided by the school).

If your grandson has already been tested and diagnosed, then I suggest you ask for another meeting to revise the goals for your grandson. He needs additional support and the school can likely help with this. You should ask for another meeting in writing and address it to the special education coordinator at your grandson's school.

Essentially, it will be difficult to guess and surmise what kinds of interventions would work best for your grandson without understanding his strengths and weaknesses better. With more information, you and the school can make a more informed decision about how to best help him.

Good luck and please let us know if you have additional questions.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
www.drlaurakauffman.com
1
0