rubyt
rubyt asks:
Q:

My grandson's IQ is 130. What does this mean?

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Cognitive development

|

An IQ (Intelligence Quotient) of 130 means that he is performing well above average  as compared to other children his age. Some may interpret this score as being slightly within the range for gifted and talented.

Each school district should have written materials that explain the interpretation of tests they use to assess their students abilities.

Thank you for writing.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

1
0

laurenf
laurenf writes:
IQ is a standardized intelligence score. 100 is average. A score of 130 is well above average. More information can be found on Wikipedia.

0
0
Candace_Lindemann
Candace_Lin... , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
First, I think it is wonderful that you are involved in your grandson's education.

I would urge you not to put too much stock in IQ tests.  They are, after all, just numbers and do not reflect the entirety of a child's potential.

Technically, 115 to 129 is considered "above average" and 130 to 144 is considered "moderately gifted".

I believe that we, as adults, should be nurturing all children's curiosity and creativity.

The fact that your grandson's IQ falls well above the average range of IQ may mean that he will have a highly inquisitive nature.  It is important to provide plenty of opportunities for him to discover and learn so he can reach his potential.

---
Candace Lindemann, Ed.M.
http://NaturallyEducational.com

1
0