GRANDMOTHER123
GRANDMOTHER... asks:
Q:

HOW CAN I HELP MY GRANDSON LEARN HIS MULTIPLATION TABLES HE IS GOING INTO THE 3RD GRADE

In Topics: Back to school

|
Unfortunately, there's no quick and easy solution for learning multiplication tables. The process of learning them is quite time-intensive, but it's absolutely necessary to help prepare kids for future math concepts. It sounds like you're getting an early start and focusing on them outside of school hours, so your grandchild is very lucky to have your help!

Repetition is key to getting times tables down, but practicing them doesn't have to be a bore. Try switching up learning methods: flashcards, printables, and even games can help! Flashcards can be made on index cards, and below I'm including a link to Education.com's multiplication printables.

Another fun activity you can try is a twist on the classic game of War. Take out all the face cards, and just use the numbers in a deck of cards. Players each play a card, and the first player to call out the correct product is the winner of that round, and keeps that pair of cards. Whoever collects all the cards first, wins!

0
0
Hanith
Hanith writes:
I completely agree with aqblickely, repetition is key. It's just one of those things that has to be done!

Incorporate it into daily games: I kept 12 little containers filled with x-amount of beans (3 beans/ container for multiples of 3 etc...) when my eldest needed to memorize her multiples. With a eraserable marker let him mark the containers so the 1st will be 3, 2nd will be 6, 3rd will be 9 and so on. That way not only will he memorize his multiples but also get an understanding of working with groups of numbers and the concept of multiplication and division.

When my daughter aced her sequences we would use the containers as shakers and do a victory song and dance! :)

Best wishes.

0
0
Tenmarks
Tenmarks writes:
As Aqblickley and Hanith have said, multiplication is not just a third grade concept – it is a core skill for life, and it is very important for your student to have it down pat. What your grandson needs is a lot of practice, structured properly, and designed for his ability and pace. I can suggest one of our Foundation Programs for you, one for kids going into third grade, called “Math Facts and Number Operations”, which is designed to build core number skills for students in early elementary school.

Each of our programs is state mapped, and personalized for your student. We also have an assessment  – If you don’t want to pick a step up or foundation program yourself, just have your kid tested on various concepts based on state and grade, and we’ll set up a personalized curriculum just for you, and keep you involved through personalized recommendations and updates.

The TenMarks approach ensures that students learn at their own pace and time, and on their own – They master concepts one by one, using  short worksheets, which are supplemented by hints and video lessons on the fly, so they don’t need to wait for a class or tutor. Practice and test sections help them build confidence, and they’re not tied to a schedule.

Hope this helps you out.

TenMarks Instructor

1
0
rachs
rachs writes:
Hi, I just happened to come across your question recently. My nephew faces the same problem with learning his multiplication tables. I came across an iphone/ipad app called "Math Table Karaoke" which makes his learning much easier. I think you must try this too if you have the device to support it. I hope it helps.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/math-tables-karaoke/id383102165?ls=1&mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/math-table-karaoke/id443908685?ls=1&mt=8

0
0