realTeresaC
realTeresaC asks:
Q:

How can I help my grandson not to steal?

My 6 yr. old grandson has been stealing money, twice that we know of and stole something from a store. How should this be handled? The money he took from me (grandma) was $40.00 and another time took some change without asking if he could have it. His mother made him take the object back to the store and say he was sorry. I feel no matter what goes on in life there should not be any reason for him to be stealing things. I love this kid very much, help us do the correct thing. What should we do for him? How do we stop him from stealing?
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Perhaps these resources will help you:

From education.com http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Lowdown_Lying/

KIDS HEALTH
http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/learning_problem/stealing.html

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

KayTyus
KayTyus writes:
Well my oldest brother had that issue and my father broke that chain by give him the "mirror"{reap what you sow}. My grandfather bought my brother a train set, and he loved it, he played with it every day. One day he came home from school and found that the main track was gone. Yes my dad took it and had it for a whole week. My brother looked everywhere for that track. He cried and was hurt but when my farther gave it back to him he explained why we shouldn't take things that does not belong to you w\o asking. And that helped a lot.

4
0
rmknig
rmknig writes:
Previous answer was great. Is there also any reason why the child is stealing? Is the child getting positive attention and praised for good behavior at home? Does the child have much attention from family or is he using this bad behavior to attract attention? Try giving him opportunities to do good things and give him attention for the good things he's doing. Is he learning this negative behavior from school , friends or TV? This is in addition to explaining that stealing is wrong...the train set example was great.

1
0
Bucki2746
Bucki2746 writes:
Show him how people end up if he keeps stealing, like going to jail.

1
1