Naisaun
Naisaun asks:
Q:

What are the H1N1 vaccine side effects?

My daughters (age 6 & 8) received the H1N1 vaccine at school and did not seem to have any issues after the first shot, but they were recommended to have two rounds since they were under the age of 9 years old. They received the second shot this Monday and both of them have been complaining of leg pain, heavy legs and seen to have shaky/sore legs. Is This Normal? What can I do for this and what should I look for to be concerned about?
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu), Physical Health

|

There should be no connection to the vaccine and their complaints.  I would call their pediatrician and relay to them the issue and ask for advice.

2
1

andyhere
andyhere writes:
I just came back from the hospital where I've visited my cousin (in London, UK). She had the H1N1 vaccination earlier this year (2010).  She is completely paralysed from her middle down to the toes and it's already been a week. She has no feeling and no movement at all in her legs. That's what made me start my research.

please have a look at the google search results and see how likely it is to be linked: http://www.google.co.uk/#q=flu+vaccine+2010+paralysis

Her condition started by strong pain in the legs that just got worse when she lied down. She gradually lost the use of her legs within the following 20 minutes until she had no use of them at all and also no feeling in them.

Obviously we have no proof that this is due to her vaccination earlier this year but I assume it seems like the only "more obvious" reason at all. She was perfectly healthy before this happened (at 34yrs of age)

2
1
professor87
professor87 writes:
No vaccine is 100% safe for everyone. People with allergies to eggs, for example, can't take flu vaccines because eggs are involved in the manufacturing process.

And flu vaccines cause mild but common reactions. About one in three people get a sore arm from the shot, some with a little redness or even swelling. Some 10% to 15% of people feel tired or get a headache; some may even run a low fever.

And vaccines can trigger rare but serious reactions, even among people with no apparent allergies or sensitivities.

2
0
mleano8
mleano8 , Student writes:
I am not a doctor so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. Though I do not know if there are any side effects of the H1N1 vaccine, I would not suggest getting them. This is because the virus is so new and came on so strong, so suddenly, I'm sure hospitals were willing to pay the first person to come up with a vaccine. There would have been no time to test out the vaccine between when the virus first made a splash to when the vaccine surfaced not too long after.

In other words, we have no idea what kind of symptoms or side effects we may have been exposed to until it's too late or further testing has been done. For example, the Polio vaccine that was given to people in the late 1950's & early 60's have now been linked to certain kind of cancers now.

Best of luck and hopefully these vaccines are safe...because I got one too :(

1
1