MomOThree
MomOThree asks:
Q:

Do we need the h1n1 vaccine?

My son recently had a confirmed case of h1n1 - my other two kids have been sick, but not confirmed as such.  I have been told that my son does not need the vaccine at this point.  I am 6 mos pregnant - and was sick in June with something that seemed like h1n1 but was also unconfirmed as such. Since I cared for my son while he had an active case of h1n1, and have not gotten ill, do I need the vaccine? I know that the cdc would say "it wouldnt hurt" - but of course I am not sure if I agree with that.  I would like to know what the incubation period is for this virus, and how that compares with teh time period it takes for the vaccine to take effect.  Thanks!!
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)

|

the incubation period is one to four days.  It takes two weeks for the mist or the injection to be fully effective according to the manufacturers Sanofi Pasteur or MedImmune.

Last spring, the H1N1 AND the H1N3 were circulating therefore it is prudent as a pregant woman to be immunized upon the advice of your ob-gyn.  You are right the CDC does recommend it anyway since confirmation of H1N1 is hard to get and the Quidel A/B test is not always confirmatory.

Good luck, and great question.

0
0