Dana_W
Dana_W asks:
Q:

Are the rumors about the H1N1 vaccine true?

I, as everyone else in the US have heard lots of rumors. My 10 month old recently recieved the regular flu shot last week and is due to get the H1N1 today, but I cancelled her appointment because, i've heard 40,000 people have died FROM the vaccine itself. I read where the makers of the vaccine are refusing to take this vaccine. I don't know what to do for my daughter, I want her to be safe but I dont want to lose her over some stupid mistake in the vaccine because it hasnt been out long! I've also read that it could cause autism later on down the road. CONFUSED...PLEASE HELP!
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)

|

Dear Dana:

To the best of our research, no one has died from the H1N1 vaccine but people have died from the disease.  It is a safe vaccine made by two reputable companies-Sanofi Pasteur and MedImmune. Most people working for these companies are old enough not to be in the age range of concern 6months-24 years.  The vaccine is made the same way every year with different antigens or viruses by the same process.  The risk of not giving the vaccine is greater to children than the risk of giving it.  It is a choice and no state has required it.  So ask your child's pediatrician how she feels about H1N1 and take her advice.

expert panelist:pediatrics

1
0