kmbms
kmbms asks:
Q:

How should I handle my 6 year old grandson's newly developed articulation problem?

In the past few years, after being around a child who was unable to pronounce r and l, my grandson would mimic this problem for a week or so and then return to normal clear articulation. Since starting kindergarten last month, he has begun to misarticulate r and l, and now does so almost all of the time. He is able to correctly pronounce the words after I pronounce them. Should I correct him each time? Should he be evaluated by a speech therapist for this late development of an articulation problem? His does not appear to have any hearing difficulty.
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

Hi and thank you for writing to Justask!

I am not a speech and language therapist, however I have worked with several.  You may wish to ask the school district he attends to have him screened for any speech problems that are atypical for his age.  This meeting will be with a multi-disciplinary team which will include teachers, a speech pathologist and the parents/guardians.

The request must be made in writing by the parents/guardians. Describe in writing what you have outlined here. A date is advised as this process has strict deadlines.

A hearing screening is often recommended by the school team when they sit with the parents to discuss the process of speech and language screenings/evaluations and possible programs to assist.

You may wish to look at the websites below for more information.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.Signingfamilies.com
0
0