alexia
alexia asks:
Q:

How to handle an aggressive child?

Dear education.com

I'm a kindergarten teacher and I have difficulty in handling an aggressive child, which is one of my students, he often over-reacted like hitting, kicking, punching, screaming,...you name it, and of course the other students are being his victim. Because of his aggressiveness, I've been complained a lot. It really serious matter.

I'm finding difficult teach class routine and discipline with him. what kinds of reinforcement that effective to such a child like him? I'm not quite agree of the term of punishment to handle child like him. I really really need help.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you

Lia
Jakarta, Indonesia

|

Good question!  At this age children's behavior can be very impulsive and immediate with no thought of consequence.  It may be helpful to lay out some very clear rules for this youngster and then follow them precisely.  

First, write out what the rules are very clearly.  With children of this age, pictures may be the most effective.  Then help explain why these are the rules.  Explain how hitting is harmful to his classmates and the environment at school.  After explaining the reason for having the rule, then write out what the consequences are, once again unsing pictures, explaining why that is the consequence.  And then as soon as the rules are broken, refer to what was written down and implement the consequence.  Hopefully then you can help the child begin to recognize that all of his actions have consequences.  Also have consequences for when he is well behaved.  It is good to extinguish bad behaviors, but perhaps even more important to cultivate good behaviors.  Catch him being good.  

If these rules are not working, it will be helpful to work with the other staff at the school to see if they have any other ideas.  Also talk with the student's parents and see if they have any ideas of how to help.  If he continues to be disruptive, it may be necessary to remove the student from the class altogether and find an alternative educational option until he is ready to partake in the learning environment in a healthy way.  If possible, it would also be helpful for the child to see a counselor or child psychologist so that his specific issues and problems can be directly addressed.  Good luck and all the best!

0
0

Avanish
Avanish writes:
Hi Lia,
Handle these type of boys are very difficult but you can try to convince that boy that his action can hurt some one and you can demonstrate how he is hurting others and then tell him if anyone do this with you then how you feel. Try this method. Hope he will understand or tell him that GOD doesn't like this type of boys and try to make GOD's 'fear in his mind for his mischief.

0
0