Vello
Vello asks:
Q:

How should I handle an older (girl) kid (5 or 6) teasing my 22 mo old boy

Yesterday while at the toddler park two girls came up with their mom and dad. I believe they are Spanish or Asian I'm not really sure. Nonetheless my 22 month old wandered over by them on one of the bouncy toys on the playground. I watched as he climbed on the toy in between the two girls and immediately one of the girls started calling him a girl. My son doesn't remotely resemble a girl, in fact he's so stocky most people think he's 2,3, or 4 years old already. I told the little girl that he was not a girl with both of her parents standing within ten feet of us both. My son again climbed on the the bouncy toy and the little girl said to him get off because you are going to hurt your "ka,ka" and start calling him a girl. I was very taken aback that a young girl would be using such language and in plain view of her parents. I told her again that he wasn't a girl and we proceeded to leave the playground because at this point I felt the little girl was being very disrespectful to me and my son. I also thought it better we leave so I didn't say something I'd regret to the little girl. What do you think and how would you have handled this situation?

|

Thanks for taking the time to reach out for some guidance on how to handle this type of a situation. It sounds like you were able to stay calm and in control of your emotions, both of which are absolutely important. Remember, you serve as the biggest role model in your son's life right now, so modeling appropriate behaviors yourself can show him the appropriate ways to act himself.

It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly. You might have thought about confronting the girl's mother, but that could have just led to confrontation. Even though that mother was not willing to teach her daughter appropriate behaviors does not mean you can't teach your son appropriate ways to act.

1-800-448-3000

1
0