Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... asks:
Q:

How do you handle sibling relationships during play dates?

I have two boys ages 4 and 6. They are really good friends and have lots of fun playing together when it's just the two of them. We're starting to have some issues, however, when one or the other has a friend over for a play date.

The problem is worst when my older son has a friend over. The little one goes a little crazy trying to get attention from the older kids and ends up being pretty disruptive. I've tried taking him off by himself and playing with him but who wants to play with a mom when there are two super cool big kids in the house?!

So, I'm wondering how other parents keep sibling relationships smooth during play dates? Do you require that the child hosting the play date includes the sibling?

Thanks for any help!
In Topics: Parenting siblings

|

fritzr
fritzr writes:
It's a bummer for the older child to be saddled with the younger one but that comes with the gig of being the older sibling.  If the kids are playing at your house or on your watch then telling him to include his younger brother is not too much to ask.  If your son is going over to a friend's house though then no, the younger one should not be included. The older child needs to know that there are certain perks that come with getting older and a newer level of independence is one of them.

0
0