krika
krika asks:
Q:

How do I handle a teacher that yells?

It is only the third day of my son's kindergarten experience, and I am already nervous.  I have been observing the teacher; hoping for a good transition from pre-k for my son.  What I have noticed, is that the teacher screams to kids in hopes to demand obedience.  Let me remind you, these are kids that are just starting their school careers, getting used to new surroundings, and "responsible" adults.  

As I mentioned, it is only the third day in school, and my child is already nervous of waving hello when I pick him up.

What would be the correct action.  talking to the teacher? and tell her about her attitude problem?  Or going directly to the principal?

I do not know what to do?

- a concerned parent -
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com!

Screaming at Kindergarten children is definitely something that should not be tolerated! Like you said, these children are learning how to trust adults and are looking to them as role models. The best Kindergarten teachers are excellent at making young children feel welcome and safe in the classroom, while establishing rules around self-discipline and respect for others.

Give it a few more days to see if the teacher calms down. It could be that she is flustered during the first few days of school until she feels she has a better handle on her class. You can stop by to have lunch with your child or pick him up early to get a chance to observe her with the children. If you still have a bad feeling in your gut about the way she is handling the class, you should speak with the principal about your concerns. If you talk directly to her, you run the risk of her taking it personally or getting defensive. It is the principals job to make sure his/her employees are doing a good job.

In the meantime, continue to help your son with the transition by allowing him to talk about his day and praise him when he comes home with artwork and worksheets. Do not talk about your concerns about his teacher in front of him! Don't get into the habit of siding with your child and making the teacher out to be the bad guy. Your child needs to know that parents and teachers are authority figures which need to be respected.

If you would like to speak with a counselor about this issue or any other parenting concern, please call or e-mail our hotline. Our website is also a great source for information on parenting and child development. We are here 24 hours 7 days a week for parents and children of all ages.

Take care, and best wishes to you and your child!
Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
e-mail: hotline@boystown.org
1
0

meshelle2kz
meshelle2kz , Teacher writes:
My advice would be to try and speak with the teacher.  Approach her in a non-threatening way. Maybe even try telling her you wanted to let her know your son is still a little nervous about all the new changes.  Tell her your son responds better to a clear and direct approach and tends to not respond to aggressive or loud type discipline.  I Think if you are subtle and make it more about whats right for your child and less bout her doing something wrong, you may be able to avoid her getting defensive.  If this doesn't work I would suggest taking it up with the principal.

2
0