suejohnson
suejohnson asks:
Q:

Has anyone heard of a child speaking clearly and then losing the words?

My daughter has mosaic down syndrome and triple x syndrome.  The combination is so rare that there might be only 20 people in the entire world with both, therefore I do not have a lot to go on.  My daughter started speaking early at 10 months.  She clearly said, "I'm Up", bob for dogs, mum, dad, and book.  One day they were all gone.  She is in speech therapy and is doing the same thing.  She will say bubble for a long time and then it is gone.  Some words have resurfaced like bob but now it is not only for the dogs, I am also Bob and so is my husband.  Has anyone heard of a child speaking clearly and then losing the words?
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

Have you talked with your daughter's pediatrician about what you are observing with her speech? Any coordination of care between the pediatrician and the speech therapist, and if so, is that helping?

You might also review the various free resources in this Speech and Language Issues information center:
http://www.education.com/topic/speech-disorder/

Another option you may have already tried: interviewing parents of children with either Mosaic Down Syndrome or Triple X Syndrome, and/or locating one or more of those families who have a child with both -- to see if they've had a similar experience with their child's speech (what they did about it; how it may have changed over time; etc.).

All the best to you in your quest for information and support related to this challenge. I hope there are additional JustAsk members who will also offer insights for you.

0
0