shreyas01
shreyas01 asks:
Q:

How do I help my child after she "fails"?

My child is uspset since she didn't make it to gifted program. She took it 3 times and always missed it by ONE point. How do I help her? Im afraid if she takes it a nd fails again she'll be depressed!
In Topics: My gifted child, Depression

|

Not knowing your daughter's age or not having more specific information about her, there are a couple of questions that would be helpful to answer:
What is her motivation for being in the gifted program?  Is it social, an internal motivation, is there a reward connected with it, or has it been promoted by others?  If she has been unsuccessful three times maybe she needs to direct her attention toward some other goals outside of the classroom---extra curricular activities, music, art, etc.  
How often do kids take the test, is it at the beginning of the year or throughout the year?  If she takes this test more frequently that once a year, maybe she should back off of it for a while.  Again, not knowing what the procedures are, it is difficult to be any more specific than that.
Above all, as a parent it is important for you to help a child discover their strenghts and praise them for whatever those strengths may be.  You also want to help them set and achieve goals that are important & beneficial to them.  If they encounter setbacks, you are there to be their cheerleader by providing encouragement and support.  Let her know you love her and are proud of her whether she is in the gifted program or not.  If you give positive messages, hugs, etc. to them for trying their best, it goes a long way to making a child feel confident and secure!
1-800-448-3000

0
0
Anonymous