HELP- Need to make a decision whether to repeat K or go on to 1st grade based on social reasons???
My daughter will be turning 6 on 9/12, so she basically misses the cutoff in the public schools to go into 1st grade by 11 days! However, last school year, she was at a private school that did not have the age requirement and so I made the choice of letting her start K before turning 5. I figured I would play it by ear and worst case scenario if she didn't master the curriculum, she would be going into K again when she transfered to the public school. So now however, I have a very tough decision to make because the school is giving me the option of placing her in K or 1st. Overall, she did extremely well in K and graduated with principal's honor roll! She was just recently evaluated at the incoming public school and she came out at a mid 1st grade reading level. She can also add and subtract, tell time, count coins, etc. I do feel that she had a very good, but rigorous K curriculum at the private school. So I know for a fact that at the very least she has mastered the K curriculum, if not surpassed it. After evaluating her, the school themselves are actually suggesting she go to 1st grade, including the reading specialist, principal and K and 1st grade teachers I spoke to. But my issue is not if she's ready academically, but more socially because of the age factor. She is very shy and takes time to warm up to both adults and kids. However, she is not by any means immature. She actually is a very responsible little girl, mature and just LOVES to learn new things and s