Carlab
Carlab asks:
Q:

Help!  My nine year old son is a VERY picky eater.

My nine-year-old son is a VERY picky eater. He doesn't even like foods that other children like (such as pizza and spaghetti!). Instead, he only wants to eat macaroni and cheese, white rice, some chicken, and a few other things. I couldn't get him to eat a vegetable if his life depended on it (which I sometimes worry it does!). Help!
In Topics: My picky eater

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
That sounds challenging! I recommend thinking of inventive way to "sneak" vegetables into your son's diet. He will grow out of this (although he may never enjoy anchovies!), but the repurcussions of his dietary restrictions could stay with him if he doesn't get enough nutrition. You should check out our regular columnist, The Sneaky Chef, written by Missy Chase Lapine. She has all sorts of ideas for sneaking vegetables, like pureed cauliflower, into kid-friendly dishes like mac and cheese. Here is the link for her column archive:
http://www.education.com/magazine/column/Sneaky_Chef/

0
0
graham
graham writes:
I remember reading somewhere that the reason kids like such simple/bland food is that their taste buds are too sensitive- I think they called it hyperactive taste buds or something similar. Though that might be a big myth.

You may be interested in this new york times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/dining/10pick.html

0
0
chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
I was a very picky eater as a kid, and I did grow out of it. I now have one also. Have you tried letting him help create the weekly menu, shop for ingredients, and even help cook the food? We did that to help our son open to new things (OK, so it is about 5 new things in 2 years, but 3 are vegetables). When kids help cook, they tend to try what they make. Below is a great website with recipes and tips that may help.  There are other good sites as well that deal with cooking with kids.  Good luck!

0
0