Anonymous
Q:

high school bullying

My daughter is a freshman and a senior and her friends have been picking on her and calling her nasty names. today she came home in tears...she doesnt want to go back to school.this has been going on since september....
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing

|

If you have not yet talked to the school social worker or school counselor, please do this as soon as possible! The school administration needs to put a stop to this behavior. More and more schools are implementing strong anti-put down and anti-bulling programs and sending strong messages that those behaviors will not be tolerated in school. The parents of the bullies also need to know if their kids are treating others with disrespect.

Try to help your daughter to not feel like a victim by helping her learn to stand up for herself. You can even help her by role playing a scenario which might happen, and practice how she can look at them and tell them with confidence to leave her alone and walk away. These kids are looking for reactions, so the calmer she stays in front of them, the better.

For more support please contact our Hotline. We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week for parent and teens. Our website for parents is: www.parenting.org
Our website for teens is: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Thanks again for reaching out. Best wishes to you and your daughter!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
2
0

EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Enough is enough.   Words can do more damage than a fist fight because memories LINGER on forever or can!  
Again, the school needs to provide a safe environment and you must be your child's advocate.   I do training in schools for teachers as many do not know how to handle these situations but they must all be brought together and perhaps the school counselor needs to get involved as well...and the parents!  
I have free reports on this and book coming out soon that is full of tips on what steps to take.  
Let me know if I can help.
Edie

0
0
silverkitty
silverkitty , Student writes:
we all have an elephants memory when it comes o these sorts of things yet we forget half of the stuff they teach us in school. Trust me mam, it helps allot to tell someone like a principle, councilor or a teacher about this. The sooner you tell someone the closer they'll stop picking on her. (this comes from experience as I was teased not really bullied but still in the same category). I would also suggest contacting their parents. Although you're daughter maybe against it the child striking out at her might have some family troubles and doesn't know how to deal with them so they take it out on her. By calling the parents you will alert them to their child problem. They ay then have a talk with them and they may just stop on their own after settling their problems.

0
0