Tlcarson123
Tlcarson123 asks:
Q:

Should I hold my 2nd grader back due to lack of his reading ability.

My son should be starting the 3rd grade next year and his dad and I are thinking of holding him back due to his reading learning disability.  He is barely reading on a 1st grade level.  Should we get a tutor and hope for the best.  I think holding him back will crush him...even if we put him in a new school
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Anecdotal evidence shows that holding him back will help if you do intensive tutoring including the summer break.  Advancing him with the "hope" that it will work almost never does. Get his hearing and vision checked by your doctor to be sure and evaluate him, if possible, with a neuropsychologist who can map out the best course of study for the next year.  Your school should be helping you. Speak to his teachers and get a consensus as to a good game plan.

Best wishes

1
0

lisa.warren
lisa.warren writes:
If he cannot read he will fall further behind and his self esteem will crumble because he will know he's different than the other students.

1
0