EmilyMays
EmilyMays asks:
Q:

Is it Okay to hold my son back until he is six to begin Kindergarten?

I am a mother living in Southern Indiana and I am concerned about my child's upcoming education. My son will be turning 5 in April, Meaning he will be at that age to start Kindergarten. However, Due to a recent divorce and several moves this past year I have fallen behind in teaching him the skills he needs to possess to begin kindergarten. He is a smart child with a desire to learn, but has been going through a rebellious stage I would like to sort out before starting him in school. Is this okay to wait until he is six?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
RRteacher

Best Answer!

You know your child the best, but we (Teachers in the school system) often see kids starting Kindergarten who really should have waited that extra year to start. If your child knows most of his letters and sounds and can write his name or is beginning to be interested in reading and math, then maybe he is ready. If you think all the changes in your family are affecting his learning and he isn't showing these readiness skills, it will not hurt him any to have an extra year to grow before he starts school. You will have to make the final decision if you think your child is emotionally ready to start of not, regardless of how smart he is.

0
0

JessicaDarlene
JessicaDarl... writes:
I, as a mother of 2, a preschool teacher, and an elementary education student, do not think parents should hold their children back. My oldest son attended 5 schools in 5 years due to constant moving. He adjusted just fine. I think school may be the "constant" your son needs.
Also, I do not think you should be so hard on yourself about "falling behind" on teaching your son. I have observed kindergarten classrooms where some students could only write their first name!
To help start a new mom/son tradition, a way (for both of you) to cope with your recent life changes, and to spur his learning, you two should read together every night before bedtime. Take the time to point out letters, make predictions, ask questions, etc.
Ultimately I think it is your decision and what you believe is best for your son though. Good luck...no parenting decision is ever easy! =D

0
2
georgina29
georgina29 writes:
I'm sorry for your problems,but they are your problems, you have to separate your child from your personnal issues, and start treating him as the child he is, give him the childhood he deserves by trying to give him what he needs and not what he wants.There is no point in prolonging his situation,See it like a Dental appointment, he needs a rootcanal to stop matters from getting worst, the longer you prolong it the more issues he and you will have, my sister whent through the same thing only there daddy was off fighting a war and she did not want to start living till he came back,only that did not happen.....she pulled through and I'm sure you will too!.....

0
0
jackielou
jackielou writes:
IF U WANT

0
0
littleredboat
littleredboat writes:
I think you should sign him up for Kindergarten in September and not wait.  With the divorce and all the moves it will be good for him to make some new friends  and kindergarten is all about learning and kids adjust faster than we think.

You can practice activities with him from now , you have plenty of time. ABC, counting, manners and lots of fun craft projects.  Use craft projects to learn colurs, lets make that yellow bumble bee with black stripes and don't forget you can do a bit of science about pollination too.

0
0