Azamar
Azamar asks:
Q:

Should I hold back my son in kindergarten?

I have a six year old who started kindergarten late because he is a Dec baby. He has never been to preschool before kindergarten so when he started he was quiet and real shy. His teacher is super great I could tell that she really wants to help him. She told me that he still does not have all the confidence he needs to move on and he still needs extra support to complete assignments, and he doesn't know how to break up words and he can't really read yet. He is doing OK in math but her most concern is his confidence and reading. And she said he is just starting to answer questions and coming out of his shell and thinks he just needs another year to catch up. I'm torn because he will be 7 in kinder is that too old to be there? And would his peers tease him? I don't want him to feel bad. I want the best for him I want him to be successful in life and I'm making a huge decision for his future I need more advice. I was told 1st grade moves too quickly and they don't have extra support like kinder does and they expect Lot more.. what to do??
In Topics: School and Academics, My child's growth and development, Learning disabilities

|
Anonymous