Lindas
Lindas asks:
Q:

Holding a child back a grade when she needs it good or bad?

I appreciate the answers that i got for my daughter but i feel like I should elaborate on the situation you see my daughter is severely disabled she is 10 years old and could not talk until she got her teacher that she has now she has the mind of a three year old and would not even notice that she was held back because every year kids with her severity of disability stay in the same class room but this year since she is turning 11 she will have to go to sixth grade and that means a different school I already spoke to her teacher that agrees that she should stay back a year but the administrator that over sees the disability department will not allow it What else can I do I do not have money to hire experts or even a lawyer. Thanks again.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

KidAngel

Hi Mom,
If your daughter has a psychiatric or psychologist that she has seen for diagnosis I would have her seen by him/her and have him put his recommendation in writing. If he agrees with you and her teacher then his letter should get the results you seek. If not, then the administrator made the correct decision.
Best to you and your daughter!
Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
1
ronald

Best Answer!

Lindas,

You did not indicate that you directly spoke to the administrator. Also, I do not know if you are referring to the school site administrator or the District Administrator. Since your teacher is an advocate, have her identify  additional "higher-ups" with whom you might discuss. Let us know what happens. A parent speaking directly to the administrators is key. It is also useful to know the reasons for their decision assuming that the answer is not too personal.

Ron

1
0