gabbymom17
gabbymom17 asks:
Q:

Home life/Teacher boundaries/Homework - What to do?

My son just started kindergarten and i work evenings - coming home about 15min before bedtime. Despite talks, arguments, ect. my husband seems to always "forget" to get homework done with him. I understand this is an issue but what am i to do?
Also after explaining the sitution to the teacher i was (inappropriately, i believe) told that had i maybe not had my child so young and attended college (i'm 23, had him at 18) that maybe i would have a "better" job and not have to work evenings! She is not even aware of what it is i do! To add, i do evening (end of day) data entry for a private company and am not in any way at a "poverty" level. She went so far as to *insinuate* further dicipline (such as child services) if i do not/can not "fix" this.
He is excelling during the school day and while i understand homework is essential i don't believe i should be belittled and threatened over it not being done.
What course of action should i take?
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with school work and home work, My Relationship with my child's school

|

You have several issues you ave presented: (1) the need to have your kindergarten son do his homework; (2) getting your husband to assist your son in getting his homework done; and (3) having a productive parent-teacher conference.

I would assume that homework for a kindergartener is reinforcement of what he has learned at school. Homework should not be new learning nor be time-consuming. Designate that your son needs to complete his homework before he is allowed to play. Have him to a part of the planning for when he can do his homework, such as 4:00 pm.

Ask your husband to meet with the teacher about her expectations and give examples of what homework is expected. Create a team approach. He will monitor your son and have him work at the designated time, and you will check the homework when you get home. This should require minimal time for both of you. It also emphasizes for your son the importance of homework and high expectations.

If you are uncomfortable meeting with the teacher, ask to have the principal or counselor present for the parent-teacher conference. Ask to see your son's work.  I hear that you felt belittled and defensive about being judged as a poor parent by this teacher. You may say something like this: "I am an interested and loving parent who has my child's best interests at heart. I am the expert on this child, and I want to work with you to help him be successful."  Remain calm and thank the teacher for her interest in your child.
0
0
Anonymous