Anonymous
Q:

I am a home-schooler and I don't have any friends so I asked my mom if I could be public schooled and she said No, I have no friends what should I do?

In Topics: Choosing a school, Self esteem and identity, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Dr.Susan

One of the most important things you can do is to join activities--sports, programs, youth group. Ask your mom to help you do these things so that you can meet other kids. Also, see if you can meeet kids in your neighborhood.

Next, perhaps your mom can help you find other home-schooled kids in your area that you can connect with. She may know some, or there may be a home-schooling group in your community. Ask her for help. Since she feels strongly about home-schooling, she should help you balance out what you are missing socially.

Also, ask yourself exactly what is getting in the way of making friends, other than not being in public school. Perhaps you are shy, afraid of taking risks or think that you are too different from other kids. Being home schooled doesn't have to be an obstacle to making friends.

I strongly suggest that you DO NOT use the internet as a way to make new friends--it can be very unsafe, expecially since you are already feeling like you really want to make friends. This may get in the way of you being careful about allowing people online to get close to you. Once you meet a couple of kids, Facebook could be a good way to stay in touch with them, if your mom is okay with it.

Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

1
0
BigSis

Best Answer!

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time making friends right now. Would you be able to join some community activities in addition to your homeschooling? Either playing for fun on a sports team, joining a club in your community, taking a dance class or any kind of class that may spark your interest can bring like-minded peers to these activities and hopefully you'll meet some people you get along with. Hope this helps :)

3
0

dionisia
dionisia writes:
If you know how to use the computer , you can find friends and acquiantances on line without going out from home.

0
4
BrittanyJohnson
BrittanyJoh... writes:
I believe that becoming activa in your community through sports,  clubs, and volunteering is the best way to meet new friends.  I think the internet can be a dangerous place to meet your first set of friends.  It is best to physically see your first friends and get to know them directly.

3
0
babiicakez98
babiicakez98 writes:
There is so many ways to make friends other than school. What ever you do DO NOT GO ONLINE TO MAKE FRIENDS. They are sick old men who try to get your address and phone number. Then they do some pretty bad stuff. Try ask your mom to have you do a sport or be in a club. Do Gymnastics, dance, softball, volleyball, tennis. My daughter is 6 and is homeschooled. I dont like the bullying going on and afriad she wont tell me. So i have her do dance and volleyball and she has just as many friends as a normal public schooler does. She also loves going to after school activites. Its the best way and if something happens like bullying then their is a teacher/ coach around to see/stop it right away. Hope i helped!!

0
0
Skyflowers101
Skyflowers101 , Student writes:
Did she tell you why she said no?did you explain to her why in a nice way so she'll aculy listen?if you did and she said no...this may not be a good answer but use the internet and talk to people like on facebook.com

0
0
Anonymous