lchoover
lchoover asks:
Q:

Home-schooling because of Bullying

I have recently started home-schooling my son because he was tormented daily and bullied.  He has been assaulted several times and his school refused to do anything about it.  

I just hope that I am doing the right thing.  Has anyone else had anything similar happen?

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com!

We are sorry to hear that your son had such a negative experience at school that you have decided to home school him. It is very unfortunate that you did not receive the support you needed from the school. Hopefully your son will start to feel less anxious and will be more able to concentrate on his school work now that those distractions will be behind him.

Make sure that you give your son opportunities to socialize with other children and to develop friendships. There are home school networks which offer many opportunities for team sports and other extra-curricular activities. Encourage your son to try new things and to meet new friends, but don't push him. You also don't want him to become isolated at home and too dependent on you as his only source of guidance...even though you are his most important source!

It will also be important for you to have support and friendships from other parents in the homeschooling network.  If you at some point feel that home schooling is becoming too difficult or is not what you had hoped it would be, there may be other alternatives than to return to your son's original school. Certain school districts are more progressive when it comes to addressing the issues of bullying and teasing among their students, and they take a very strong anti-put down and anti-bullying approach. Make sure you research the schools both public and private and find the best fit for your son.

If you would like to talk more about this issue or any other parenting concern, please contact our toll-free hotline. You can also give our number to your son. Our counselors are available 24 hours 7 days a week for children and parents who are struggling with issues like bulling and relationships. We also have a website for parents and one for teens and tweens, both of which are listed below.

Thanks again for reaching out. Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
2
1

EmilyWillingham
EmilyWillin... writes:
Yes, and here are the stories of our experience...
http://daisymayfattypants.blogspot.com/2010/01/homeschool-and-health.html

It has been wholly positive for us. Good luck...your son is safe and able to learn and live with you, without the fear and anxiety those bullies brought him every day.

1
0
MelissaBloux
MelissaBloux writes:
My son was being bullied and I went through teacher and principal to the district and got nowhere so i am homeschooling him. And I think it was the best decision as i have watched my son just blossom and feel so much better and happier away from the bullies. Good job!

0
1
smartkaka
smartkaka writes:
you shouldn't let him live in a bubble for the rest of his life if he refused yo do anything about it tell a teacher handle it yourself teach him to tell the teacher i know it might be hard to tell your kid to tell a teacher so sometimes you have to tell them yourself.try putting back to school if he starts to get bullied again you should talk to the teacher privately and i am sure the bullies won't bully him again!!!

1
1