momof3rnmt
momof3rnmt asks:
Q:

Are there any home screening tests for strep throat available?

I would like to know if there is an available home screening for strep throat and if not, why not. We have home tests for pregnancy, ovulation, occult blood in the stool, etc. I made ANOTHER trip to the doctor with my daughter for a strep screen because she has a sore throat and a little pus on her right tonsil. The screen was negative. All I needed to know was whether she had a bacterial or viral infection. It seems to me that a significant number of unnecessary visits to physicians for viral illness (involving no fever, no other symptoms but a sore throat) could be avoided with a simple at-home strep screen. Is such a thing possible???
In Topics: Medical problems

|
Wayne Yankus writes:
Of course, it is possible but not medically sound.  Home test kits are frought with error and interpretive error.  Missing strep may well have an end result of rheumatic heart disease or similar infection.

Not many physicians would also be willing to treat with antibiotics over the telephone if a parent calls with a positive result. It is not their interpretation of the test and therefore opens them up to malpractice in the case of error.

A test is only as good as the culture done.

2
0
AydenMachado
AydenMachado writes:
Well according to an analysis published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, home test for strep throat is made by researchers that claim to give as accurate results as laboratory tests. Strep throat is considered as a type of sore throat which is occurred due to bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes. It is very contagious which can be extended through airborne particles. Patient who is at low-risk for strep throat can easily consider this home test for strep throat. However, I believe it’s important to carry out laboratory test to determine whether the sore throat is bacterial or viral.

0
0