momof3rnmt
momof3rnmt asks:
Q:

Are there any home screening tests for strep throat available?

I would like to know if there is an available home screening for strep throat and if not, why not. We have home tests for pregnancy, ovulation, occult blood in the stool, etc. I made ANOTHER trip to the doctor with my daughter for a strep screen because she has a sore throat and a little pus on her right tonsil. The screen was negative. All I needed to know was whether she had a bacterial or viral infection. It seems to me that a significant number of unnecessary visits to physicians for viral illness (involving no fever, no other symptoms but a sore throat) could be avoided with a simple at-home strep screen. Is such a thing possible???
In Topics: Medical problems

|
Wayne Yankus writes:
Of course, it is possible but not medically sound.  Home test kits are frought with error and interpretive error.  Missing strep may well have an end result of rheumatic heart disease or similar infection.

Not many physicians would also be willing to treat with antibiotics over the telephone if a parent calls with a positive result. It is not their interpretation of the test and therefore opens them up to malpractice in the case of error.

A test is only as good as the culture done.

2
0
AydenMachado
AydenMachado writes:
Well according to an analysis published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, home test for strep throat is made by researchers that claim to give as accurate results as laboratory tests. Strep throat is considered as a type of sore throat which is occurred due to bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes. It is very contagious which can be extended through airborne particles. Patient who is at low-risk for strep throat can easily consider this home test for strep throat. However, I believe it’s important to carry out laboratory test to determine whether the sore throat is bacterial or viral.

0
0
Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
Easy@home Areta Strep A Test for Strep Throat Testing,25 Tests/kit
Areta
I had another brand of these tests in my office - but as an eye doctor, since we're diagnosing strep very often, the tests were expired. I wanted these for home use for my daughter so I bought this on Amazon instead of at our medical supply house.

While not exactly like the hospital grade tests which preserve sterility from the reagents to the specimen collection tube to the test strip, I found it accurate and easy to use.
My daughter is constantly getting sore throats and strep. Sometimes she gets it and dosnt even have a sore throat just a stomach ache.. These are great to have so we are not constantly running to the dr for every sore throat or stomach ache. They are also good to make sure that the antibiotic did its job and got rid of it.

0
0