rimaphily
rimaphily asks:
Q:

What can I do at home to help my son's behavior at daycare?

My three year old has been in daycare for over a year. He has just started with hitting and pinching when he gets frustrated. He was sent to the office three times in one day for not listening to his teachers. What can I do at home to reduce this behavior?

|

Consistency in discipline at daycare and home is very important.  Find out what they do for discipline at daycare and continue that at home in the evenings, and on weekends.  At the age of 3, your child will respond best if you use both words and action to teach your child right from wrong.  Be sure that you are explaining in simple words to your son what he is doing wrong, then what he needs to do instead.  Using actions such as taking him out of the situation, or taking something physical away from him will reinforce to him that he is doing something wrong.  Remember that consequences need to be immediate.  At 3 yrs. old he won't remember what you are punishing him for if it happened last week at school.  

Don't forget to praise him for when he does the right thing!!  By going out of your way to give him positive praise, you will increase the frequency of his "good" behaviors.  

Good luck and hang in there!!
1-800-448-3000

0
0

Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Rima,

My son (3) went through a similar stage a few months ago and most moms I know also say that at some time between 2 and 4 their kids got through a spurt of hittng or biting when they're frustrated instead of using their words.  

Even though it's normal, I think you're right to be taking it seriously and thinking about ways to get him through this stage as quickly as possible!  I think the most important thing is that his behavior is dealt with in a really consistent way.  I'd talk to the school about how they're disciplining him when this happens and then (assuming you agree with it!) make sure you're saying the same kinds of things and taking the same actions at home.  With my son the most effective thing was removing him from the situation when he hit (making him leave the park or playdate, taking him out of his class for a few minutes so he missed a fun activity, etc).  At first we'd give him a warning "If there's any more hitting we're going to have to leave".  That helped but didn't completely fix the problem so we adopted a "One strike and you're out" policy.  If he showed any agressive behavior we'd leave right away.  It was hard on all of us but he really worked hard to find other ways to solve problems and now (almost) never resorts to hitting.

Hope this helps and please let me know how it's going!

0
0