Ayana Rich
Ayana Rich asks:
Q:

Need example of home teaching schedule for 5 yr old.

My son is home with me now (and will be until September) and I've become his teacher.  He will be attending K in the fall and I would like to have/find an example of a teaching schedule that I can follow to continue his learning.  Can you help?
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
ShannonFaith
ShannonFaith writes:
Hi Ayana,

I am a working parent of two sons (ages 6 and almost 4).  My husband (also working) and I have been actively homeschooling both of them with some loose structure on weekends and after-hours for as long as we can remember after our eldest was old enough to hold a pencil. Our eldest has been a kindergartner for this past school year and we are migrating him to a home-school charter school this fall, 2012.  
What we've found is most important, which I'm sure you already are doing, is grasping your son's attention span and learning style. Our two sons are night and day.  The eldest has an lengthy attention span for any workbooks, coloring, projects, etc., that is put in front of him (meaning he is okay with sitting him down for an hour doing workbooks, reading, etc. and will get it done-no complaints).  The younger of the two has a shorter attention span and requires more physical/active styles of learning (more manipulatives, hands-on learning, auditory learning with audio books/cds, etc.).  Once you've assessed this, then you can determine how much time you can allot per area of focus.

Ideally, for a 5-year old, I would suggest no more than 20-30 minutes of focused time in any one core area (reading/sight words/writing skills, mathematics/counting/addition, science/nature, etc.).  Additionally, as I'm sure you also know, don't try to cram too much into one day...that is the beauty of homeschooling...only you know your child's limitations and areas where you can help push him further. Furthermore, I would suggest a schedule like the following to start:

8:30 - 9:00am - Reading, comprehension, sight words, etc.
9:00 - 9:15am - Writing activity (practice alphabet, draw a pic/write sentence about pic)
9:15 - 9:30am - Play break
9:30 - 10:00am - Math/numbers/counting, etc.
10:00 - 10:20am - Snack time/play outside
10:20 - 10:50am - Constructive play (blocks, legos/manipulatives/something hands-on!)
10:50 - 11:30am -  Social sciences (learn address, phone number, talk about community workers, holidays, learning calendar, etc.)
11:30 - 12:00 - Early lunch?...

For the afternoon...I would give him at least 1 hour - 2 hr break before starting into something again.  The afternoon should be less structured, in my opinion, at this age.  Again, don't try to force him to do too much.  I would spend the afternoon focused on any of these areas (arts and crafts project, singing, music, science project).

Enjoy this time with him and make the most of it...I am happy that you get to homeschool your son on a full-time basis!  Congratulations and please contact me anytime.

0
0
ShannonFaith
ShannonFaith writes:
Hi Ayana,

9:15 - 9:30am - Play break
11:30 - 12:00 - Early lunch?...

2
0