denacomden
denacomden asks:
Q:

Homeschooling my Aspergers son

My 13 year old son is homeschooled (K12 online). He's been diagnosed with Aspergers so it's actually quite challenging. He's brilliant but has a hard time focusing. He remains in his bath robe and wants to take FREQUENT breaks to play games on his computer. He just seems bored with it all. I'm worried because he lacks social interaction as well.

How can I make it interesting for him... motivate him? I'm exhausted by the time we break for lunch!

Dena C
Nashville, TN
In Topics: Homeschooling, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Home education can be rewarding and challenging! You may wish to start by establishing what are important goals and what you are willing to let "go". So, if coming to learn in proper attire with positive attitude is important then you will need to set these as goals. Rewards can be the cherished time he seeks on computer playing games for up to a pre-established time (such as ten minutes).

Also, consider that he may like to learn in "chunks". Such as one hour on and then on hour off. This is hard on the parent and may need for creativity.

You may need to be extra savvy at making the learning interactive and using the medium he likes- such as gaming.  There are many online homeschool sites which provide integrated learning across a variety of topics. In addition, you will find that your son may learn best at night as some children seem to prefer more structure in the evening.

Exercise is a good way to help the body and mind be ready to learn. Much better than computer gaming, although if need be using online exercise systems, such as the Wii may be helpful.

Here are some websites that you may find of interest:

SpecialNeedsHomeschool.com

Kabongo.com

Yoursphere.com

abcteach.com

specialneedshomeschooling.com

Good luck to both of you.

3
0