denacomden
denacomden asks:
Q:

Homeschooling my Aspergers son

My 13 year old son is homeschooled (K12 online). He's been diagnosed with Aspergers so it's actually quite challenging. He's brilliant but has a hard time focusing. He remains in his bath robe and wants to take FREQUENT breaks to play games on his computer. He just seems bored with it all. I'm worried because he lacks social interaction as well.

How can I make it interesting for him... motivate him? I'm exhausted by the time we break for lunch!

Dena C
Nashville, TN
In Topics: Homeschooling, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Home education can be rewarding and challenging! You may wish to start by establishing what are important goals and what you are willing to let "go". So, if coming to learn in proper attire with positive attitude is important then you will need to set these as goals. Rewards can be the cherished time he seeks on computer playing games for up to a pre-established time (such as ten minutes).

Also, consider that he may like to learn in "chunks". Such as one hour on and then on hour off. This is hard on the parent and may need for creativity.

You may need to be extra savvy at making the learning interactive and using the medium he likes- such as gaming.  There are many online homeschool sites which provide integrated learning across a variety of topics. In addition, you will find that your son may learn best at night as some children seem to prefer more structure in the evening.

Exercise is a good way to help the body and mind be ready to learn. Much better than computer gaming, although if need be using online exercise systems, such as the Wii may be helpful.

Here are some websites that you may find of interest:

SpecialNeedsHomeschool.com

Kabongo.com

Yoursphere.com

abcteach.com

specialneedshomeschooling.com

Good luck to both of you.

3
0

andygudge
andygudge writes:
I am Dr Andy Gudgeon, living in Manila, Philippines, after teaching in the UK for 35 years. I married a filipina girl of 23 in 2000, but when our son was 5, he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, after "freezing" in every subject at a very fine school. The diagnosis is certain, done by a very highly regarded educational psychiatrist, who stayed with him all day every day for a week. I started reading and learning all I could, but by age 9, it was hopeless. Then I realised my wife's erratic behaviour was also Aspergers, and when our daughter reached 10, I saw it again. At that point, I pulled our son out of school, and have done home schooling with him since then. We both love that, and he is far ahead of other boys his age now. I have developed many resources for him, and learned a great deal, which I am happy to share. I am hoping to create a mini-school for Aspergers kids in UK from next year, probably in Sheffield. I can teach all the maths, physics, chemistry, biology, English, and even French & German, up to age 18, and I will collect a group of mums (maybe dads?) to build interactive social skills, with things like, quizzes, competitions, walking, camping, caravanning, caving, painting, drawing, sports. Anybody near Sheffield welcome to join. Anybody else ... why not try it yourself? So here is my email add  andygudgy@gmail.com and feel free to chat with me there. Aspie women have major meltdowns, which I have suffered from greatly ... does anybody want to sew the buttons back on all my shirts?  After the last one, she suddenly decided I have another wife somewhere, and also that my study table was untidy, and ran away, but I am strong enough to cope with all this, and I will spend ten years preparing my 2 dear aspies for life. My wife's response was to go into DENIAL, which is a disastrous thing for the kids, but still it is a part of the Aspie character. OK over to you. Andy

0
0