desperate
desperate asks:
Q:

Has anyone tried homeschooling a child with Aspergers?

I am crying as I type this. I have been trying to get help from the school district for my son since school started this year and I am at my wits end. I was wandering if any parents of an Aspergian have tried home schooling and getting social skills training from a therapist or group.
In Topics: Homeschooling, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

I see that many parents have answered with assistance.  I also wanted to direct you to other resources.  There are many excellent websites for parents looking for resources, information and support to help their child with Asperger's or are on the Autism Spectrum (AS).  

Please also look on this website for help, too.

Good luck and I hope that the below websites will be of help and good resources for you.  

2
0

justme8
justme8 writes:
I also have 2 children with Aspergers at different end of the spectrum.  My 16 year old has more of the anger side while my younger son, has a lot of sensitivity issues and low level tourettes, and thinks he's a police officer (lol).  I've found out the hard way the schools system are not the people to help, my 16 year old is a prime example of that I'm sorry to say. I found that constant reminders and and explanations tend to help a lot as well as posting directions in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room etc.  I don't know if it ever gets perfect but it does get better.  Your not alone there are a lot of us out here that can share what your going through and are here to help and be supportive.  My younger son almost lost his eye on the school bus, due to his behavior. Our children arent bad children just misunderstood. The best thing I can suggest is to join support groups for yourself, a group for your son. I don't where you live but if you contact one of your local support groups ask them if they know of a good Doctor that's the best way I've found to find good help. I've home schooled all my children for the past 4 years and have found it to be a wonderfull experience, and the children have excelled, although it can be frustrating at times I wouldn't change it for the world.
If I can be of any help or you just need to talk feel free to e-mail me anytime.
ky_hsmama@yahoo.com.  

The Best of Luck to you,
                    Cheryl

1
0
angelkisses
angelkisses writes:
I am in my 4th year of homeschooling.  I have girl/boy twins.  My son has aspergers and I took him out of school after he completed 1st grade.  He was not diagnosed in school with aspergers yet he did have an iep.  I always knew there was something different about him and actually self diagnosed him not long after I took him out of school.  I knew he had aspergers and a firm diagnosis came when he was in 2nd grade or so.  Im so glad I began to homeschool.  No one knows our children better than we do.  Some days are challenging and others are rewarding.  He has his meltdowns but it has taken a long time to discover what works and what does not.  Im glad he is not in school where he can be the subject of bullying, etc.  We have always been a social family so that has never been an issue.  I never looked at school as a means of socialization for any of my children.  School was about education only in my mind.  Our socialization was always outside of school.  I would not want my kids to be "socialized" in school.  Why, so they can learn about sex and drugs and who knows what else???  My children do Irish dancing, roller hockey, martial arts, and we belong to a homeschooling group one time a week.  We are extremely active in our church and my kid with aspergers has overcome so much.  Get involved with homeschooling groups or a church family as much as you can.  This has worked wonders for my son.  We still have our times when it comes to education but I understand him better than anyone and can overcome the meltdowns when they arise.   I thank God for homeschooling.  Also, you can seek help by other avenues.  I went through a program where a social worker would come to our house to work with our son.  My son would call him "the help inspecter".  He came for 5 months to our home and met our son in his own enviroment.  You can check through your insurance on this or go to catholic social services to see if they can point you in the right direction (you dont need to be catholic).  Also, we got a referrel from our doctor to take our son to a speech therapist for help with his compreshension/auditory skills.  Writing is an issue for him and I suspect will be for a long time.  But with homeschooling, I can work with him, encourage him and cheer for him in a good enviroment where I know his strengths and weaknesses.  I cryed for years reading about aspergers knowing my son may have this.  He eventually was officially diagnosesd.  There is alot of support for homeschooling.  Look up on the internet, start speaking with people and the doors will open.  I was petrified my first year.  If I can do this, you can do this.............................

3
0
slblaschke
slblaschke writes:
I also have a strong ADHD low end asberger kid who is 8.  I do not HOMESCHOOL I find that if you can live where there is an exemplary campus than regular school has worked for us.  The counselor at our school sees my son about once a week for about 30 minutes to work on his social skills and his anger when he loses.  I also found a great therapist who does group therapy with these kids in Georgetown TX.  I would call every therapist in town to see who does group therapy you can also try to start one if a therapist will agree to help you.  Best of luck.  I had 3 boys in 3 years NOWAY could I begin to homeschool them with the competition fighting and now in 5th grade my oldest being in talented and gifted math I cannot teach him anymore. I am studying to be a Science Teacher so I can help the students learn!! Best of luck-Stephanie  

0
0
scoobydoodle
scoobydoodle writes:
Please see my non-profit site with no advertisements I made for parents just like you.  You are not alone.  I share my personal story there, plus hundreds of tips you can use to homeschool. I am so sorry for your struggles.
Marcie C
www.spectrumhomeschool.com

1
0
siegendhorse
siegendhorse writes:
YES!!!  I feel your pain. My daughter just turned 18.  I have worried so much thus far.  This started when she was 3.  We went through her being nauseous  at birthday parties to wanting to faint being so pale.  Being bullied at school in 4th & 5th grade.  I did home school, then found an eschool program with a small amount of children.  It was a christian environment.  It strengthened her and made her more  confident.  She always loved animals so we developed "a farm" with ducks and she started showing horses, dairy cattle, and goats.  Her self esteem rocketed in the animal world and she is now finally happy with who she is and knows her comfort zones.  Keep your chin up....it gets better.  You are going through the roughest time.

1
0
PaMorlas
PaMorlas writes:
Hi, I just stumbled upon your question and was so moved by your statement that you were crying as you type.  I so relate to that feeling.  I homeschool my aspie son and have been doing it for two years now. I never thought I'd be doing this but it became a necessity because my school district also failed to provide what my son needed. Sometimes you just have to do what you need to in order to help your child. Sometimes you are the only person who CAN help your child.
My son was being bullied and ridiculed because of his difference. I was afraid, but I jumped in when I saw how traumatized he was by what was happening at school. Please don't be afraid. I know how scary it is. I was not only worried about whether or not I was "smart" enough to do this, I was also worried about financially how we would cope losing my income. Believe me, you will find a way.
I have been using Switched on Schoolhouse at AOP Publications for the last two years and love it. It's a computer program so you'll need either  a laptop or desktop. It's not cheap, about $350 for the program. But it is so worth it. I would recommend that you go to the website aophomeschooling.com.  Don't be put off by the fact that it is christian based. Alot of these homeschool programs are....they don't push anything on you.  If I can do it, you can do it. I promise.
As far as social skills training, we tried for about 6 months but it became too stressful. I plan on trying another group though... it takes time to find the right therapist and the right group so if you don't succeed at first, don't give up.
I wish the best for you and I truly hope that you will find the help you need.

2
0
amandaharrill
amandaharrill writes:
Hello. I have a high functioning child with so many aspergers signs. She loves home schooling. My eldest also had signs of the same. I never knew what they had, but knew they were different and therefore chose to home school. It was the answer for us. They are doing great. Don't give up. One day at a time. My eldest is now a Supervisor of PEOPLE. Who would have thought that?  You were chosen to mother this child....enjoy.

1
0
ASloane700
ASloane700 , Parent, Teacher writes:
I can only answer 1 part of your question and that's homeschooling a child with Autism.  I have been homeschooling my son with Aspergers since he left kindergarten...I had to keep him back because the school system didn't teach him at all the entire year.  He is currently in the 7th grade and is actually on target for the grade level.  He's doing excellent and the way that I homeschool is the teacher is online with students in the classroom...he's done wonderfully and I'm sure your son will do wonderfully as well!!  Good Luck to the both of you!!

1
0