tgarcia
tgarcia asks:
Q:

homeschooling a child with special needs

I have a 12 year old son with special needs who is getting ready to start jr. high and I have decided to have him home schooled but I do not know where to start.  I have contacted a few learning centers but they do not cater to children with special needs.  Can you tell me where I should start?
In Topics: Homeschooling, Learning disabilities

|

Dear Tgarcia,

Getting started with home schooling is definitely a large task! It sounds like you are doing a wonderful jo

You mention that he has a special need. Depending upon what type of special need he has, the advice for teaching will vary. Did you son have an IEP before? If so, you can use the information from that to help structure some of the teaching strategies you will use. Specifically, if your son has strong verbal intelligence (talking about material), but struggles with nonverbal tasks (math, for instance), you would probably use more verbal teaching methods. You would leverage that strength to support his areas of relative weakness. Thus, the recommended teaching will depend on your son's way of taking in information and learning.

There is a wonderful non-profit called, the Home School Legal Defense Association that has a great section on home school for a child with special needs. I have included the link below.

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert Panel

2
0

hamayun
hamayun writes:
hello i am hamayun masumi i am from Afghanistan and i teaching for special need kids for almost 6 years and now i am job less. i will give you the answer. first you should take care of the child and give him lots  of love and then u can start with him with colors and with blocks and then start with him with name of the colors one or two colors put week or month when he or she get to know the name to the color fast then start with him with ABC with sound try make it exciting for him when want to do the phoenix sound like A for aaaa B for bbbb or C for kkk like the child will get to learn very good and when he not Obeying you just don't talk with him and leave him and also when he cry for some thing don't give me do this for a month after a month he will not cry for that and will not bothering you that much he will be very quite kids i gantry you he will be very nice kids .
I hope that will be help full for you and i wish him all the best in his life and he will be very very happy kids in his life i pray That Great Full Allah (God) will be with him amine

1
0