Hanith
Hanith asks:
Q:

Is homeschooling the right way to go?

I basically would like to know what the general feeling out there toward homeschooling is?
My family and I have started about 4 months ago and I can see major changes in all 3 my kids. There isn't a big support system where I am but we are doing OK!

Let me know what your opinions are and do you have any tips for me?

Kindest Regards
Hanith
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
I think it truly depends on the kid, as well as the level of discipline and effort put in by the parents amd educators. Deciding to homeschool is a big decision, but I believe that some kids can truly benefit from the individual support and guidance.

One of my cousins is homeschooled, and academically, it has been wonderful! She scored highly on her SATs, and is already learning college-level material.

The most important step my aunt took was to make sure to get her involved in clubs, sports teams, and groups that provide socialization with her peers. I think it's easy to focus a little too much on academics, and let the social element of growing up fall by the wayside.

I'm including a link to an article that provides tips for beginning homeschooling. Hope this helps!

5
0
prayer
prayer writes:
I'd love to give you support on the best decision that you have made for your children.  I have 10 children and are homeschooling the last 3.  a 4th grader a daughter that has learning issues so we do about 4th grade work and a daughter that is entering 8th-9th grade.  I've tried many different things with my children and not every way is right for every child.  That's the wonderful thing about homeschooling.  There your kids and it's your choice.  Homeschooling is growing every year, that should tell you something.  God tells us to teach our children.I could go on and on about all the benefits.  There are many resources on-line and support on -line.  A favorite is The Oldschoolhouse.com  very good

3
0
LanelleDevlin
LanelleDevlin , Parent writes:
I too am new to homeschooling.  I wasn't too sure at first but I love it.  My son is a young kindergartner but is excelling.  We have so much fun together.  Education.com is a great resource for the worksheets and activity ideas too.

Getting the kiddo's involved in clubs is important for socialization, 4H, music lessons, sports, church or whatever interest they have.

There are a lot of websites that have free ideas, how-to's as well.  Just do a homeschool search if you haven't already.

I like currclick too.  They have a ton of free stuff and lots of curriculum's to purchase plus lapbooking info too.

There are many, many other online sources...

Depending on where you are check with the school district as well.  They may have a program like ours that let's us home school but they still get the money for the student and we get to use the school resources.

Most of all enjoy it and have fun!

I do find that having some sort of schedule is important.  I'm a night owl so we get up a little later and spend snuggle time in the morning first.  Then dressed & breakfast or breakfast then dressed.
Next a name puzzle and "journaling"
maybe reading or a "choice" activity (art, building, computer learning game etc...)

We added some other things like a weather calendar for each month so he draws clouds or sun or snow or rain etc on each day.  We can then look back and see trends about the weather.  There is just so much you can do and so many great ideas.  Find what works best for YOU and your kids!

Warmly,
Lanelle

2
0
Hi Hanith,

I think it's fine that you've chosen to home school your children.  You should feel good about your decision as you know what is best for your family.

I've included a link that you may want to get involved in called Book It provided by Pizza Hut.  You can enroll all your children (grades k-8) and each month that they reach their reading goals they will receive a FREE personal pan pizza.  The site offers reading tips, worksheets and more.

I live in a rural area, that's generally calm and safe with small "country" schools and I like the social development that you gain by being involved in a small community such as mine, but I also have a home school program in place for advanced or non covered subjects, tutoring, etc.  I was able to enroll in the Pizza Hut program under those terms.  It's a great incentive for kids to want to read.  We've enjoyed the reading activities and they look forward to their monthly reward.  

Best wishes and happy learning!!

1
0
Hanith
Hanith writes:
I am sooooo grateful to everyone for your advice! This is the most interaction I have had with other homeschoolers since we started last year!

We are all the way in Cape Town South Africa and even though it's a growing choice, homeschooling is still quite small here so it gets a bit lonely at times :(
We have purchased curriculum from an agency so we follow a daily roster of set subjects but we also do a bit of cuddle time in the morning, breakfast and then some reading. When the school day is done we all have our chores to complete and then it's a bit of free time for all :)

I've unfortunately let some people crawl into my head which has left me feeling very anxious about whether my kids are learning enough and do they have enough social activities and how can I be sure that they are on par with their schooled peers! But that's over now, we love what we do and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Thanx for the links I will check them out immediately!

Ever grateful
Hanith

0
0