Hanith
Hanith asks:
Q:

Is homeschooling the right way to go?

I basically would like to know what the general feeling out there toward homeschooling is?
My family and I have started about 4 months ago and I can see major changes in all 3 my kids. There isn't a big support system where I am but we are doing OK!

Let me know what your opinions are and do you have any tips for me?

Kindest Regards
Hanith
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
I think it truly depends on the kid, as well as the level of discipline and effort put in by the parents amd educators. Deciding to homeschool is a big decision, but I believe that some kids can truly benefit from the individual support and guidance.

One of my cousins is homeschooled, and academically, it has been wonderful! She scored highly on her SATs, and is already learning college-level material.

The most important step my aunt took was to make sure to get her involved in clubs, sports teams, and groups that provide socialization with her peers. I think it's easy to focus a little too much on academics, and let the social element of growing up fall by the wayside.

I'm including a link to an article that provides tips for beginning homeschooling. Hope this helps!

6
0
prayer
prayer writes:
I'd love to give you support on the best decision that you have made for your children.  I have 10 children and are homeschooling the last 3.  a 4th grader a daughter that has learning issues so we do about 4th grade work and a daughter that is entering 8th-9th grade.  I've tried many different things with my children and not every way is right for every child.  That's the wonderful thing about homeschooling.  There your kids and it's your choice.  Homeschooling is growing every year, that should tell you something.  God tells us to teach our children.I could go on and on about all the benefits.  There are many resources on-line and support on -line.  A favorite is The Oldschoolhouse.com  very good

6
0
LanelleDevlin
LanelleDevlin , Parent writes:
I too am new to homeschooling.  I wasn't too sure at first but I love it.  My son is a young kindergartner but is excelling.  We have so much fun together.  Education.com is a great resource for the worksheets and activity ideas too.

Getting the kiddo's involved in clubs is important for socialization, 4H, music lessons, sports, church or whatever interest they have.

There are a lot of websites that have free ideas, how-to's as well.  Just do a homeschool search if you haven't already.

I like currclick too.  They have a ton of free stuff and lots of curriculum's to purchase plus lapbooking info too.

There are many, many other online sources...

Depending on where you are check with the school district as well.  They may have a program like ours that let's us home school but they still get the money for the student and we get to use the school resources.

Most of all enjoy it and have fun!

I do find that having some sort of schedule is important.  I'm a night owl so we get up a little later and spend snuggle time in the morning first.  Then dressed & breakfast or breakfast then dressed.
Next a name puzzle and "journaling"
maybe reading or a "choice" activity (art, building, computer learning game etc...)

We added some other things like a weather calendar for each month so he draws clouds or sun or snow or rain etc on each day.  We can then look back and see trends about the weather.  There is just so much you can do and so many great ideas.  Find what works best for YOU and your kids!

Warmly,
Lanelle

2
1
Hi Hanith,

I think it's fine that you've chosen to home school your children.  You should feel good about your decision as you know what is best for your family.

I've included a link that you may want to get involved in called Book It provided by Pizza Hut.  You can enroll all your children (grades k-8) and each month that they reach their reading goals they will receive a FREE personal pan pizza.  The site offers reading tips, worksheets and more.

I live in a rural area, that's generally calm and safe with small "country" schools and I like the social development that you gain by being involved in a small community such as mine, but I also have a home school program in place for advanced or non covered subjects, tutoring, etc.  I was able to enroll in the Pizza Hut program under those terms.  It's a great incentive for kids to want to read.  We've enjoyed the reading activities and they look forward to their monthly reward.  

Best wishes and happy learning!!

1
0
Hanith
Hanith writes:
I am sooooo grateful to everyone for your advice! This is the most interaction I have had with other homeschoolers since we started last year!

We are all the way in Cape Town South Africa and even though it's a growing choice, homeschooling is still quite small here so it gets a bit lonely at times :(
We have purchased curriculum from an agency so we follow a daily roster of set subjects but we also do a bit of cuddle time in the morning, breakfast and then some reading. When the school day is done we all have our chores to complete and then it's a bit of free time for all :)

I've unfortunately let some people crawl into my head which has left me feeling very anxious about whether my kids are learning enough and do they have enough social activities and how can I be sure that they are on par with their schooled peers! But that's over now, we love what we do and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Thanx for the links I will check them out immediately!

Ever grateful
Hanith

0
0
chris_james
chris_james writes:
Yes homeschooling is definitely a right way to go. Homeschooling is the best alternative option you have for your child’s education. Through homeschooling our children will gain the same quality education in our supervision and at the comfort of our own home. This eliminates the efforts and stress to travel to the school and listen to the classes in the fixed timings. Homeschool allows you to gain the education in the flexible timing. Yes, it is a great option to be chosen, I have chosen Ogburn Online School for my child’s education.

0
0
CalynLZ
CalynLZ writes:
We've homeschooled for 4 years, now, and I truly feel it was the best decision I could make for my boys. You mentioned you are lacking support in your real life situation. Have you looked into online communities that could offer this support. I don't know if this is ok or not (it's not my group, I have no vested interest in it and I'm not even on Facebook atm because I gave it up for Lent) but you might look up Hip Homeschool Moms on Facebook groups. Having an online support system through a homeschool group could help you normalize homeschooling and get into a better groove/understanding of it. Best of luck!

0
0
hannaheliot
hannaheliot writes:
Ok,  It is quite challenging at first as you may wonder what are your guidelines. However, with evolving technology, you can easily manage by engaging in some of the online classes and taking online exams while you school your family at home. There are also research assistants who are willing to assist you with coaching.

0
0
lauramaria-ny
lauramaria-ny writes:
Yes it is because once your child is in middle school he/she is going to be straight messed up and what I mean by messed up is that he or she will not really care about education and instead they will care about dating and having fun by not listening. They will start cursing and getting into fights. That is why I asked my parents if I can do home-schooling. Also, they will not let go of their phones and take them to school. They will be up to social media. So in my opinion homeschooling is the best wa homeschooling is the best way for a childhood!

From:marissa

1
0
layla73
layla73 writes:
no because it will leave you behind and also it wont get you discipline

1
1
ryanafrifa
ryanafrifa writes:
]
'

1
0
brittany.strong26
brittany.st... writes:
Dear Hanith,
I think you shouldn’t underestimate the role of social interaction in your kids’ development. They need a diverse social environment to practice their social skills, so that to be comfortable with friends and strangers as they grow older.
When interacting with their peers and older kids,  children learn many important skills!
For example, they learn that there are certain social norms to follow, no matter how creative or smart they are. Or, they need to realize the other side of misbehavior like frustrated teachers, offended friends or annoyed passers-by.
Then, they learn to understand the context, distinguishing formal and informal communication.
Children need to stay connected to the reality outside their parents’ house!
I’m happy that my son is visiting our <a href="http://kids-collective.com/about-us/one-day/">; playa vista preschool</a>. There he faces a variety of opinions, which helps him develop his critical thinking.
I believe that a good preschool provides not only a comprehensive toolbox of primary scholastic skills, but also lays the solid foundation for a kid to develop socially in a harmonious manner.

0
1
CalynLZ
CalynLZ writes:
In light of the previous socialization claim, I just wanted to inject that this has been disproved time and time again. Honestly, common sense should disprove it for us- considering that the vast majority of children in the history of mankind were raised without the benefit of social institutions like public school. However, for some reason it keeps being come back to. Despite the better scores, despite the obvious benefits of homeschooling being tailored to the individual learner, despite the strong sense of self (firmly rooted in their families unconditional love, not in peers conditional and ever changing regard) that studies have shown actually leads to more successful adulthood (better relationships, more successful in careers). The battle cry continues to be socialization. Please, please before you take this claim as obvious fact, do some research on it. Homeschooled children are not lacking in socialization and do not lack in social development. Public, private and home school are all valid alternatives to one another. They all have their place and it is up to each individual family, and their situation, to decide which is the best option for their family and child/ren.

0
0
vijay43
vijay43 writes:
good then simply you can perform it through Vidmate as well! https://vidmatedownloadapps.com Thus comply with the next measures to download the apk for the nice.

0
0